+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I still qualify for EE without a job right now?

tokalaangel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
I’m currently an H1B holder in the US but may be loosing my job soon due to the current economic situation. I have an EE profile submitted and am waiting for the next draw, which I should have enough points for an ITA.

My question is, am I still eligible for EE if I suddenly lose my job? I had planned to move back to my home country and wait for the EE draw if I no longer have employment. I likely will not be able to get a job in my home country since I can’t read or write the native language, but if I do, it will not be in the NOC categories of my previous employments submitted on my EE profile.

tokalaangel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
No requirement to have a job.

Unrelated, but likely relevant to you: at the moment they are only inviting candidates with Canadian work experience in the last three years. That’s why the scores are so low. Once they are inviting candidates for FSW again, you will probably need 480+ to be competitive.
Glad to hear I not dead out of options if H1B goes down the drain :)

I’m coming up on 3 years work experience which puts me at 478. I can max IELTS for another 3 points to hit 481 but that will be the absolute most points I can get, I think.

haihttran

Nov 5, 2019
Glad to hear I not dead out of options if H1B goes down the drain :)

I’m coming up on 3 years work experience which puts me at 478. I can max IELTS for another 3 points to hit 481 but that will be the absolute most points I can get, I think.
If that is the case, you can still have a chance with the Provincial Nomination Program. Each province in Canada might have stream aligned with Express Entry and allow you to get ITA since currently IRCC only issues ITAs to either Canadian Experience Class or PNP applicants.