+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do i say im living with him or not when im just on a visit?

ella19

Aug 8, 2009
hey,

Im currently in Canada on a visitor visa to see my common-law spouse. Ill be staying for 3mths and im living with him during this time. We are also taking this opportunity to complete and send off our common-law spouse application - we are applying outland to London.

My query is that on one of my forms it asks if i live with my partner. Technically right now i do live with him, but ive given my irish address on all other forms as that is my usual place of residence. Im wondering do i say im living with him or do i say no?? I dont know if a visit counts as living with someone - isnt it just called 'staying' with them? Ive already said on the form that im visiting him as it asked about visits we have made to each other.
This is a bit of a weird question i know, but it has me stuck! Any help appreciated :)

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
Hi Ella,
I had sort of a similar question myself when filling in the forms. I unofficially resided in Switzerland with my husband (then my boyfriend) for 4 months while my official legal residence was in another EU country. I wrote in a letter with my application that I unofficially lived with him (to support proof of relationship) while explaining that for employment/immigration purposes I had to keep my other address until the end of my contract. I provided emails from my boss allowing me to work from home from Switzerland, a photo our mailbox marked with my name as well as the order form to have the mailbox engraving changed (to prove the date) and copies of letters I received at his ("our") address. I also included return flight tickets from Switzerland for weekends together with my spouse, since we did some mini-breaks over that 4-month period. But for the addresses, I put in my legal address while it was applicable.

I dunno if this is good advice or not - I have no idea whether it was the "right" thing to do... we've not got our PR yet :) But this is the way we decided to handle it and the ideas we had to prove our relationship, not sure if any of this helps you.

If you don't live together, then you are not common-law... so in your case I think it is trickier.

Sorry, wish I could be more help! Good luck,
TLH

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I'm a US citizen and applied outland in the conjugal partner class. I had the same question. Here is what I did. I left my permanent residence as my US address until my sponsor received approval and my application was sent to Buffalo (that was when I was finally able to access our status on ecas). Once Buffalo received it I sent an email including all relevant details (Client no, sponsors name and DOB, my name etc) stating that I would be remaining in Canada on a temporary resident visa (which I applied for and never received) while our application was in process. I got my PPR and visa in about 3 months for when we applied.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
on the app it says anywhere you lived 6 or more months so i only included times where i stayed 6 months straight

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It says you have to include police certificates if you lived over 6 months. You have to include addresses even if you lived there shorter than 6 months.

NYCtoNB said:
on the app it says anywhere you lived 6 or more months so i only included times where i stayed 6 months straight

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
NYCtoNB said:
we included everything, just in case so as not to sound untruthful.

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
ella19 said:
hey,

Im currently in Canada on a visitor visa to see my common-law spouse. Ill be staying for 3mths and im living with him during this time. We are also taking this opportunity to complete and send off our common-law spouse application - we are applying outland to London.

My query is that on one of my forms it asks if i live with my partner. Technically right now i do live with him, but ive given my irish address on all other forms as that is my usual place of residence. Im wondering do i say im living with him or do i say no?? I dont know if a visit counts as living with someone - isnt it just called 'staying' with them? Ive already said on the form that im visiting him as it asked about visits we have made to each other.
This is a bit of a weird question i know, but it has me stuck! Any help appreciated :)
You should put your normal residential address on the forms as this is your "legal" residential address - you could put down your "cmh"'s address as your temporary address in Canada for correspondence.

This might be helpful to you when applying - you will need to spend as much time together as possible!

From the OP2 Processing Manual:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Gv77tSe-YwQJ:www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/RESOURCES/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf+site:www.cic.gc.ca+case+specific+enquiry&cd=61&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

5.34. Recognition of a common-law relationship. A common-law relationship is fact-based and exists from the day in which two individuals demonstrate that the relationship exists on the basis of the facts. The onus is on the applicants toprove that they are in a conjugal relationship and that they are cohabiting, having so cohabited fora period of at least one year, when the application is received at CPC-M.A common-law relationship is legally a de facto relationship, meaning that it must be established in each individual case, on the facts. This is in contrast to a marriage, which is legally a de jure relationship, meaning that it has been established in law.

5.35. What is cohabitation? “Cohabitation” means “living together.” Two people who are cohabiting have combined their affairs and set up their household together in one dwelling. To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year. This is the standard definition used across the federal government. It means continuous cohabitation for one year, not intermittent cohabitation adding up to one year. The continuous nature of the cohabitation is a universal understanding based on case law.

While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partnermay have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short.
-
Page 28
OP 2 Processing Members of the Family Class2006-11-1427

The following is a list of indicators about the nature of the household that constitute evidence that a couple in a conjugal relationship is cohabiting:• Joint bank accounts and/or credit cards;• Joint ownership of residential property;• Joint residential leases;• Joint rental receipts;• Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone);• Joint management of household expenditures;• Evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items;• Correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address;• Important documents of both parties show the same address, e.g., identification documents, driver's licenses, insurance polices, etc.;• Shared responsibility for household management, household chores, etc.;• Evidence of children of one or both partners residing with the couple;• Telephone calls.

These elements may be present in varying degrees and not all are necessary to provecohabitation. This list is not exhaustive; other evidence may be taken into consideration.

5.36. How can someone in Canada sponsor a common-law partner from outside Canada whenthe definition says “is cohabiting”?

According to case law, the definition of common-law partner should be read as “an individual who is (ordinarily) cohabiting”. After the one year period of cohabitation has been established, the partners may live apart for periods of time without legally breaking the cohabitation. For example,a couple may have been separated due to armed conflict, illness of a family member, or for employment or education-related reasons, and therefore do not cohabit at present (see also 5.44for information on persecution and penal control).

Despite the break in cohabitation, a common-law relationship exists if the couple has cohabited continuously in a conjugal relationship in the past for at least one year and intend to do so again as soon as possible. There should be evidence demonstrating that both parties are continuing the relationship, such as visits, correspondence, and telephone calls. This situation is similar to a marriage where the parties are temporarily separated or not cohabiting for a variety of reasons, but still considers themselves to be married and living in a conjugal relationship with their spouse with the intention of living together as soon as possible.

For common-law relationships (and marriage), the longer the period of separation without any cohabitation, the more difficult it is to establish that the common-law relationship (or marriage) still exists

and

from the application form:
9. If you are in a common-law relationship but are not presently cohabiting with your partner, give the reason why you are separated from your partner on a separate sheet. Give also the date that separation started

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Siouxie said:
ella19 said:
hey,

You should put your normal residential address on the forms as this is your "legal" residential address - you could put down your "cmh"'s address as your temporary address in Canada for correspondence.

This might be helpful to you when applying - you will need to spend as much time together as possible!

From the OP2 Processing Manual:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Gv77tSe-YwQJ:www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/RESOURCES/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf+site:www.cic.gc.ca+case+specific+enquiry&cd=61&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

5.34. Recognition of a common-law relationship. A common-law relationship is fact-based and exists from the day in which two individuals demonstrate that the relationship exists on the basis of the facts. The onus is on the applicants toprove that they are in a conjugal relationship and that they are cohabiting, having so cohabited fora period of at least one year, when the application is received at CPC-M.A common-law relationship is legally a de facto relationship, meaning that it must be established in each individual case, on the facts. This is in contrast to a marriage, which is legally a de jure relationship, meaning that it has been established in law.

5.35. What is cohabitation? “Cohabitation” means “living together.” Two people who are cohabiting have combined their affairs and set up their household together in one dwelling. To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year. This is the standard definition used across the federal government. It means continuous cohabitation for one year, not intermittent cohabitation adding up to one year. The continuous nature of the cohabitation is a universal understanding based on case law.

While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partnermay have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short.
-
Page 28
OP 2 Processing Members of the Family Class2006-11-1427

The following is a list of indicators about the nature of the household that constitute evidence that a couple in a conjugal relationship is cohabiting:• Joint bank accounts and/or credit cards;• Joint ownership of residential property;• Joint residential leases;• Joint rental receipts;• Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone);• Joint management of household expenditures;• Evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items;• Correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address;• Important documents of both parties show the same address, e.g., identification documents, driver's licenses, insurance polices, etc.;• Shared responsibility for household management, household chores, etc.;• Evidence of children of one or both partners residing with the couple;• Telephone calls.

These elements may be present in varying degrees and not all are necessary to provecohabitation. This list is not exhaustive; other evidence may be taken into consideration.

5.36. How can someone in Canada sponsor a common-law partner from outside Canada whenthe definition says “is cohabiting”?

According to case law, the definition of common-law partner should be read as “an individual who is (ordinarily) cohabiting”. After the one year period of cohabitation has been established, the partners may live apart for periods of time without legally breaking the cohabitation. For example,a couple may have been separated due to armed conflict, illness of a family member, or for employment or education-related reasons, and therefore do not cohabit at present (see also 5.44for information on persecution and penal control).

Despite the break in cohabitation, a common-law relationship exists if the couple has cohabited continuously in a conjugal relationship in the past for at least one year and intend to do so again as soon as possible. There should be evidence demonstrating that both parties are continuing the relationship, such as visits, correspondence, and telephone calls. This situation is similar to a marriage where the parties are temporarily separated or not cohabiting for a variety of reasons, but still considers themselves to be married and living in a conjugal relationship with their spouse with the intention of living together as soon as possible.

For common-law relationships (and marriage), the longer the period of separation without any cohabitation, the more difficult it is to establish that the common-law relationship (or marriage) still exists

and

from the application form:
9. If you are in a common-law relationship but are not presently cohabiting with your partner, give the reason why you are separated from your partner on a separate sheet. Give also the date that separation started
Wonderfully helpful information Siouxie and much appreciated!