+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I really need a super visa in my position?

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Wife has PR, I am a citizen. Wife's mother wants to come visit for about 2 months (China where you can get as much as 10 year normal TRV).

Looking at all the application and processing time (280 days) for super visa, does it make sense to get it as compared to a normal TRV? She will never stay super extended periods of time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wife has PR, I am a citizen. Wife's mother wants to come visit for about 2 months (China where you can get as much as 10 year normal TRV).

Looking at all the application and processing time (280 days) for super visa, does it make sense to get it as compared to a normal TRV? She will never stay super extended periods of time.
Does your wife's mother lives in China? It urged citizens not to leave their provinces unless it is necessary:

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2021-08/04/c_1310105658.htm

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes she lives there, thanks for the article, however the plan wasn't to come right now but in the future when this all clears up, but processing times are long, so thought to get a head start.
Then wait until it clears.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Then wait until it clears.
Thanks for advice, so then back to the original question, for her case does the normal TRV make more sense because it's less red tape (ie we having to prove income, long term health insurance, etc?)

miguelca

May 6, 2021
Thanks for advice, so then back to the original question, for her case does the normal TRV make more sense because it's less red tape (ie we having to prove income, long term health insurance, etc?)
Super visa makes sense if the parents are coming to stay longer than the normal 6 months. If you don’t see the case for that, a normal TRV will work just fine.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Super visa makes sense if the parents are coming to stay longer than the normal 6 months. If you don’t see the case for that, a normal TRV will work just fine.
Ok thanks very much, confirmed my thoughts. Follow up, would you say it's easier to apply for TRV or is it the same things they look at (incl income level)?

miguelca

May 6, 2021
Ok thanks very much, confirmed my thoughts. Follow up, would you say it's easier to apply for TRV or is it the same things they look at (incl income level)?
I would say the super visa has definitely some extra steps. Like the special super visa insurance, and you as a kind of sponsor have to meet also some proof of funds and some what responsible of them, just to mention some.

The normal TRV can go around as simple tourism and get it done. As you say you can get a TRV for 10 years so I dont see too much value on the super visa if they are plannning to visit for less than 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would say the super visa has definitely some extra steps. Like the special super visa insurance, and you as a kind of sponsor have to meet also some proof of funds and some what responsible of them, just to mention some.

The normal TRV can go around as simple tourism and get it done. As you say you can get a TRV for 10 years so I dont see too much value on the super visa if they are plannning to visit for less than 6 months.
Nobody is guaranteed the 10 years. Really depends on your profile. You should be taking out travel medical insurance no matter what unless you have millions and can afford a large medical bill if for some reason she has an accident or a health incident in Canada. Whether you should apply for a TRV usually comes down to whether your mother has ties to her home country, has the extra finances to support her trip, has travelled internationally before to countries like the US, Australia, UK, etc. If she Doesn’t have a lot of assets and not many ties a supervisa is usually a better option. As long as she has some funds and ties that proof she will return home a TRV is a better option. Also buy some travel insurance. You can get an emergency plan for a reasonable cost and you’ll have 100k coverage.