+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO I QUALIFY TO BE A CITIZEN?

bharat999

Mar 5, 2014
Hi,

I wish to know whether I do qualify already to be a citizen?

I had been in Canada (continuously) from 1st November 1975 upto 30th June 1980 (as a minor) and attended local schools in Ontario until my stay. During that time I acquired my SIN Card and OHIP Card. However, as I was a minor I did not apply for citizenship - nor did I pursue this matter further.

For your information, I had to return to my country due to family reasons.

In September 2009, we applied for migration under FSW Program under my wife's qualifications which we managed to get in April / May 2012. We made our first visit in September 2012 and my daughter started her first year in University (who is still studying in Canada) while my wife and I came back to wind up. We got our SIN Cards - however, in my case - since I already had an existing record - I was informed that I should continue using my old SIN Card - which was apparently still valid.

I had applied online for

1) status verification (VOS) and

2) search of citizenship record

I received VOS from CIC offices giving information of the two times of my landing in Canada.

I would kindly request whether I do qualify already for the Canadian Citizenship - as I still have lose ends to fix here and due to time constraint (as I have to be in Canada beginning of September) as per my current PR Status?

Thank you and God Bless :)

mimi23

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bharat999 said:
Hi,

I had been in Canada (continuously) from 1st November 1975 upto 30th June 1980 (as a minor) and attended local schools in Ontario until my stay. During that time I acquired my SIN Card and OHIP Card. However, as I was a minor I did not apply for citizenship - nor did I pursue this matter further.

In September 2009, we applied for migration under FSW Program under my wife's qualifications which we managed to get in April / May 2012. We made our first visit in September 2012 and my daughter started her first year in University (who is still studying in Canada) while my wife and I came back to wind up. We got our SIN Cards - however, in my case - since I already had an existing record - I was informed that I should continue using my old SIN Card - which was apparently still valid.

I had applied online for

I received VOS from CIC offices giving information of the two times of my landing in Canada.

I would kindly request whether I do qualify already for the Canadian Citizenship - as I still have lose ends to fix here and due to time constraint (as I have to be in Canada beginning of September) as per my current PR Status?

what is the question?if you have checked with CIC , why asking here?i thought CIC will know better? :eek:

bharat999

Mar 5, 2014
Hi,

CIC just gave a verification of status which is the first time landing details and second time landing details but no further comments - so my question is if I do qualify, is there a specific form to fill up??? I thought verification of status would have given me details of whether I am a Canadian Citizen or not - but it only showed dates of arrival and reference numbers... :-\

so therefore from the details given, do I indeed qualify and pursue the matter????

Thanks for your reply... :D

mimi23

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bharat999 said:
Hi,

CIC just gave a verification of status which is the first time landing details and second time landing details but no further comments - so my question is if I do qualify, is there a specific form to fill up??? I thought verification of status would have given me details of whether I am a Canadian Citizen or not - but it only showed dates of arrival and reference numbers... :-\

so therefore from the details given, do I indeed qualify and pursue the matter????

I think you need to apply for record search to see if you were a citizen before if you click on citizenship in the cic website you will see record search i think the fee is 75 so just check and may take some time i don't know how long

mimi23

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bharat999 said:
Hi,

the form you will need to fill is CIT0058 Application for a Search of Citizenship records , they will ask bunch of questions all the best , as i say you will get an answer maybe after 5months or longer , i don't think you will apply online , you will fill the application and send it wherever the address is, good lucky

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bharat999 said:
Hi,

I had applied online for

Hi,
Unfortunately you are not eligible yet to apply for citizenship as of today. Forget about what happened in the 70's and 80's cause only the 4 years preceding the date of application counts. even if you stayed in Canada 20 years continuously from 1980 till 2000 and did not apply for citizenship at that time this will not be of any help. Now the question is when will you qualify to apply. The answer is 3 years after the date you landed, that is April/May 2015 ASSUMING YOU DID NOT LEAVE CANADA SINCE THE DATE YOU LANDED. If you did then add whatever time spent outside Canada to may/april2015. Remember a new law is coming into force next summer and this will change the date you will be eligible.