+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do I need to take IELTS to apply PR?

lqin83

Jul 23, 2008
I was an international student in Canada between 2001 and 2006, and received an Ontario secondary school diploma from a local high school there and a 4-year bachelor degree from U of Waterloo. I worked in Toronto for half an year and didn't like it so I came back to my home country China. I have been working in IBM China for 2 years and now I want to migrate to Canada. The question is whether I still need to take IELTS in order to gain points in factor 2 as I noticed there's other option I can choose to avoid IELTS:

Option 2: Establish your proficiency levels through a written explanation and supporting documentation

So I can provide the proof of my two Canadian diplomas and IBM experience related to English proficiency. I am applying from CIC HongKong office not sure if I can go with this option...

qbanky

Star Member
May 19, 2008
Well you can try proving it by documenting your skills (often does not fly with them though) but its always worth a shot! or you couls simply just do the IELTS!

lqin83

Jul 23, 2008
If they reject my proof of docs, will my application be rejected or they will ask me for IELTS, I just don't want to waste my time on that...

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
If your qualified based from CIC assessment and they rejected the document you submitted for English proficiency, they would just ask you to take IELTS. I think 99% of applicant where English is not their native language requires to take IELTS. Prepare in advance for the exam so that when they ask you, your ready to take it.

lqin83

Jul 23, 2008
Thanks todiefor.
After I submit my application, how long do I have to wait until they start to assess my application (to ask me to take IELTS if required)? I just wanna know if I can send out my application at this time when my IELTS is ready yet if I choose to take it...

princessFiona

May 5, 2013
Hello,

As an Australian citizen with a degree in mechanical engineering from Australian university, do I need to take IELTS for the federal skilled worker immigration to Canada.

Regards,
Fiona