+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to notify OHIP about a temporary address change?

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
Hi everyone,
My situation is that I am currently living in Toronto with my wife. I am starting a new job in Montreal next week.
So I am going from Ontario to Quebec in the long term. But I just booked an Airbnb for the first month in Quebec to be able to look for a permanent apartment to move to.
My wife is meanwhile going to stay in Toronto and I will still be visiting her every weekend.

Now I am not sure if I need to notify service Ontario of me going to this temporary Airbnb accommodation for a month or if I can wait until I found a permanent place to stay?

I was at Service Ontario today and they were not exactly helpful. They said I need to notify them when I am permanently leaving Ontario. Is a 1 month Airbnb and the intent to live in Quebec enough to be considered leaving Ontario permanently?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi everyone,
My situation is that I am currently living in Toronto with my wife. I am starting a new job in Montreal next week.
So I am going from Ontario to Quebec in the long term. But I just booked an Airbnb for the first month in Quebec to be able to look for a permanent apartment to move to.
My wife is meanwhile going to stay in Toronto and I will still be visiting her every weekend.

Now I am not sure if I need to notify service Ontario of me going to this temporary Airbnb accommodation for a month or if I can wait until I found a permanent place to stay?

I was at Service Ontario today and they were not exactly helpful. They said I need to notify them when I am permanently leaving Ontario. Is a 1 month Airbnb and the intent to live in Quebec enough to be considered leaving Ontario permanently?
Provide your address for 1 month and afterwards provide a permanent address once you have one. You can do so online
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/address.aspx

It does sound like you are leaving with the intent to work in Montreal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What you really need to do is sign up for RAMQ. You won’t be eligible for OHIP now that you are living and working in Montreal.