+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to let CIC know if staying outside of Canada for 3 months or longer?

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
Could anyone please advise? I am currently outside of Canada until March-April. My home & mailing address is in Canada, and if I receive the online test invite, I will travel back immediately. So, the question is: Do I have to let CIC know? I am worried this might unnecessarily slow down my already too slow application process. Thank you!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Could anyone please advise? I am currently outside of Canada until March-April. My home & mailing address is in Canada, and if I receive the online test invite, I will travel back immediately. So, the question is: Do I have to let CIC know? I am worried this might unnecessarily slow down my already too slow application process. Thank you!
This is not permanent move hence dont update. We dont want any obstacle unnecessarily. We are not sure why some(not all) applications are held up for long time after we update the out of country address.

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
This is not permanent move hence dont update. We dont want any obstacle unnecessarily. We are not sure why some(not all) applications are held up for long time after we update the out of country address.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, CIC is confusing on this matter. It says on their website in the list of commonly asked questions that I can be outside of Canada as long as I keep my PR status and come back for the test, and so on, and there is nothing on there about updating them on my whereabouts.
However, on their different page, it says that I need to let them know if I am out of Canada for more than 2 weeks (perhaps, this page was relevant to the pre-COVID times when people used to get test and oath invitations faster than now). I kind of don't see the point of updating my status if I am ready to travel back for the test any time but I wanted to check to be sure.

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
No need to, people take cic too seriously ,, it's just another government institution that is terribly slow , if you can come back and have an address in Canada , you are good.

Reactions: Rie11

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
I am Aug 2019 applicant done my test and passed in January 2020 and till today it is IN process waiting for Oath. I would like to communicate with the IRCC through web form saying that to hold my application until everything goes normal because if I take the Oath now I have to wait for Citizenship Certificate for months and then wait few months for Canadian Passport because Service Canada not working. Will it be good or not your suggestions on this will be highly appreciated. Actually I am not in a hurry to take the Citizenship and if I withdrew my application I need to apply later by paying the fees.