+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to leave and re-enter Canada to receive PR card?

GoodFaiter

Aug 3, 2012
Hello,

At the moment I am an international student at the University of Alberta with a valid study permit. However, my parents (who are in South Korea at the moment) have received theirs (and mine) permanent resident papers and visa. In the instruction it is said that everyone has to enter Canada with the papers that were given to them to receive the PR card. Does this mean that I have to leave the country just to re-enter it the next day? Can't I just get my passport and papers by mail and just go to an office somewhere? And if I do have to re-enter Canada (which would be extremely costly), what would be a convenient way to do so as a Russian citizen? Is there an island somewhere around that I can fly to for cheap? 8)

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Generally people drive to the US border and do a flagpole, that is leave Canada and come right back unless they want to have lunch in the US or something like that. If you don't have a US visa, you can still do this. You just tell the US side that you do not want to enter the US, you just came to complete some Canada immigration business.

If you would rather "land" at a local office, you can call CIC and make an appointment but there could be a few weeks wait.