+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to inform IRCC about this??

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
I applied for proof of citizenship for my minor child born in the US (I am her mother and a Canadian by birth).

At the time I filed the application, one of the questions asked was if I, as her parent, was a citizen of any other country but Canada----I answered no, as I was still going through the process of becoming a Naturalized American Citizen myself, but had not been approved yet by US immigration.

My daughter's application was received by IRCC on October 6th and an AOR sent on Nov. 3rd according to ECAS. It has not moved to "In Processing" yet, and there is no other information available.

Here's where it get's a bit tricky, or maybe not? On October 19th, I was approved for my US application and became a dual Canadian/American citizen that same day.

Is this the reason why my daughter's application hasn't moved since the AOR was received?
Do I need to inform IRCC that I obtained American citizenship as well now, even though that happened AFTER her application was filed and received?

Also--what is the general amount of time it takes for a proof of citizenship application to move from AOR to In Process?

Thanks for any information!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I applied for proof of citizenship for my minor child born in the US (I am her mother and a Canadian by birth).

At the time I filed the application, one of the questions asked was if I, as her parent, was a citizen of any other country but Canada----I answered no, as I was still going through the process of becoming a Naturalized American Citizen myself, but had not been approved yet by US immigration.

My daughter's application was received by IRCC on October 6th and an AOR sent on Nov. 3rd according to ECAS. It has not moved to "In Processing" yet, and there is no other information available.

Here's where it get's a bit tricky, or maybe not? On October 19th, I was approved for my US application and became a dual Canadian/American citizen that same day.

Is this the reason why my daughter's application hasn't moved since the AOR was received?
Do I need to inform IRCC that I obtained American citizenship as well now, even though that happened AFTER her application was filed and received?

Also--what is the general amount of time it takes for a proof of citizenship application to move from AOR to In Process?

Thanks for any information!
You becoming a US citizen cannot have slowed down the process. How would IRCC even know that you became a US citizen? They don't.

You do not need to inform IRCC of your US citizenship. In fact, the only reason why they ask you about your own citizenships is to make sure that you didn't lose Canadian citizenship BEFORE your daughter was born. It is in fact irrelevant what happened to YOUR citizenship status after her birth.

But if you want to be extra sure, you can file a Case Specific Enquiry since you received AOR and therefore can file such CSEs. I would say it can't hurt but is unnecessary.

Don't obsess over the AOR/In Process date. There are definitely not enough people in this forum to allow for a representative statistic on that. The official total processing time at the moment is 5 months. So expect something by March 2018. Until then, just be patient.

I assume your daughter can travel to Canada on her US passport. But if not and she needs to travel to Canada soon, there are ways to obtain a travel document in case you need it. The local embassy/consulate can help you out.

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
In fact, the only reason why they ask you about your own citizenships is to make sure that you didn't lose Canadian citizenship BEFORE your daughter was born. It is in fact irrelevant what happened to YOUR citizenship status after her birth

This was very reassuring---thank you for this info! I won't bother with a CSE since I hadn't thought about the above explanation---and it makes perfect sense :)

No, there's no rush to travel or anything like that, just the normal anxiety to get it all squared away sooner rather than later....me applying for American/dual citizenship is what prompted us to submit the application for her to secure proof of *her* dual citizenship ;)

And yeah, I've noticed there aren't that many threads on processing timelines regarding proof of citizenship certificates here on the forums---most of them on general citizenship applicants, which is of course understandable.

Thanks again for taking the time, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: spyfy

madam-m

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear applicant, you don't need to open a new thread for the same question that we are reading here every day 1000times when after getting AOR my process will move to " in process".
Just embrace yourself with patience.

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Dear applicant, you don't need to open a new thread for the same question that we are reading here every day 1000times when after getting AOR my process will move to " in process".
Dear respondent, you do realize that this thread was in regards to informing IRCC about a change in my own citizenship, and the in processing time was an end side-question? If you are reading here every day 1000times about changes in an applicant's citizenship after filing, please point me to those threads so I can gleam further information on that specific topic.
Otherwise, just embrace yourself with the freedom of skipping over threads that bother you.

azazaz

Jul 6, 2011
have patience while reading other people's concerns...

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Just embrace yourself with patience
.”

Please learn to read the whole post or skip.

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Another question, simply out of curiosity---I know that applications submitted from within Canada are dispersed to local CPC offices for processing depending on what type of application it is (and I would assume what province/city the applicant resides in). Applications for certificates of proof sent directly to Sydney from the USA...are they processed by the offices in Sydney or do they also get sent elsewhere after receipt, if anyone knows?

In my searches, the only info I could find was the below, however there is no mention of Proof of Citizenship applications being included (unless they just lumped it into the citizenship category...but maybe not considering the 4 subsections mentioned do not apply to the minor child):

CPC Sydney processes applications for:
  • permanent resident cards (new and renewals) and
  • citizenship (applying, renouncing, revoking and resuming)

On an aside---I'm starting to like this forum...I hope as my journey continues, and I learn my way navigating The Wonderful World of IRCC (after having just barely survived The Wonderful World of USCIS during the past 14 years), I'm able to give back to this community and help others based on my own experiences as much as I've been assisted here.

One thing I know I already have in common with you all---I'm tired of filling out forms, gathering documents, and paying fees no matter what country or application type, but oh how it's worth it in the end! :rolleyes:;)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Another question, simply out of curiosity---I know that applications submitted from within Canada are dispersed to local CPC offices for processing depending on what type of application it is (and I would assume what province/city the applicant resides in). Applications for certificates of proof sent directly to Sydney from the USA...are they processed by the offices in Sydney or do they also get sent elsewhere after receipt, if anyone knows?

In my searches, the only info I could find was the below, however there is no mention of Proof of Citizenship applications being included (unless they just lumped it into the citizenship category...but maybe not considering the 4 subsections mentioned do not apply to the minor child):

On an aside---I'm starting to like this forum...I hope as my journey continues, and I learn my way navigating The Wonderful World of IRCC (after having just barely survived The Wonderful World of USCIS during the past 14 years), I'm able to give back to this community and help others based on my own experiences as much as I've been assisted here.

One thing I know I already have in common with you all---I'm tired of filling out forms, gathering documents, and paying fees no matter what country or application type, but oh how it's worth it in the end! :rolleyes:;)

I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to say "Congrats, you're now a lifer for filing taxes in the US" ;)

Reactions: Going through

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

I would assume that proof of citizenship cases are indeed processed by the Sydney office, at least the "standard ones", like your case (where the citizenship by descent is easily established after some minutes of looking at the documents). Possibly for the trickier cases (e.g. involving an archive search and such), there are other offices.

Note that this is just my intuitive assessment of the situation. In the end, it wouldn't make sense to spread out handling these cases over different offices, unlike citizenship grant for which a local office obviously must be involved (for test, interview and oath).

Reactions: Going through