+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to include his ex wife on application?

elexis969

Jan 4, 2016
Heya,

Me and my partner have been together 19 months and living together for 13 months and are applying for PR through spousal sponsorship. He is still technically married but they have been separated for about 5 years and are currently in the process of getting a divorce (she is also engaged to another guy and living in a totally different province).

I have a couple of questions, on the application it states "provide proof of separation e.g. income tax forms, legal documents). What kind of documents should we include? We both have our 2016 tax returns stating we are common law, paperwork from the divorce proceedings and a letter from our lawyer confirming the divorce is in process.....is there anything else we could include? What about screenshot of her fb stating she is engaged?

I also just read in another thread that we need to include his "wife" on our application as they are still technically married....Ive not heard of this before, has anyone else been in this situation that could advise?

Thank you!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
elexis969 said:
I have a couple of questions, on the application it states "provide proof of separation e.g. income tax forms, legal documents). What kind of documents should we include? We both have our 2016 tax returns stating we are common law, paperwork from the divorce proceedings and a letter from our lawyer confirming the divorce is in process.....is there anything else we could include? What about screenshot of her fb stating she is engaged?

I also just read in another thread that we need to include his "wife" on our application as they are still technically married....Ive not heard of this before, has anyone else been in this situation that could advise?
Hi

Those proofs are fine. I suggest you also add his tax return from the first year after they split showing "Separated". There is no need to include screenshots of her facebook.

Lol, no, you don't include his ex in your application. Where did you read that?

SaskinSeoul

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
April 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 2017
LANDED..........
June 2017
elexis969 said:
Heya,

Me and my partner have been together 19 months and living together for 13 months and are applying for PR through spousal sponsorship. He is still technically married but they have been separated for about 5 years and are currently in the process of getting a divorce (she is also engaged to another guy and living in a totally different province).

Thank you!!!
You have to have the divorce papers and send copies of them.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SaskinSeoul said:
You have to have the divorce papers and send copies of them.
1. No they don't, as the divorce is not finalized. As long as they can prove the separation and that they have been living together as C/law then they are fine.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
We also started my partner's PR process without a family court resolution. On the old checklist, there was an option to include a Declaration of Severance. This is where you explain why your last relationship failed and when.

I haven't had a chance to check the new checklist, but that's an option that you could include to resolve the matter. CIC told me to just explain facts in this document, sign and date it.

They evidently accepted the details, as they've granted a visa with no questions to us....

Best of luck!