+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to have a job to apply for BOWP?

filmpencil

Feb 5, 2019
Hello,
I have a post-grad work permit that is expiring soon and would like to apply for a BOWP. I've applied for PR through EE under the FSW-I category. My question is, is it possible to go through the process without having a job at the moment? I noticed while filling IMM5710, I have 2 choices: "Apply for a work permit with the same employer" or " Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer". Which one do I pick if I don't have a job and just want to extend the work permit? I'm having trouble finding a job with my temporary work permit because most employers in my field are interested in Permanent Residents or citizens. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I have a post-grad work permit that is expiring soon and would like to apply for a BOWP. I've applied for PR through EE under the FSW-I category. My question is, is it possible to go through the process without having a job at the moment? I noticed while filling IMM5710, I have 2 choices: "Apply for a work permit with the same employer" or " Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer". Which one do I pick if I don't have a job and just want to extend the work permit? I'm having trouble finding a job with my temporary work permit because most employers in my field are interested in Permanent Residents or citizens. Thank you!
You don't need to have a job to apply for a BOWP. You just need to have applied for PR (i.e. received ITA and submitted your complete application) and have received AOR from IRCC.

filmpencil

Feb 5, 2019
You don't need to have a job to apply for a BOWP. You just need to have applied for PR (i.e. received ITA and submitted your complete application) and have received AOR from IRCC.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I've applied a few months back and am still waiting for PPR, but I have to fill this document in order to submit my BOWP application. I have to pick one of the 2 options I mentioned above. Please let me know what to put. It is the first question. You can also see in Page 3 that they ask for Current Employer info. This is the pdf:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5710E.pdf

filmpencil

Feb 5, 2019
"Apply for first time or with new employer.."
Oh I see, I considered myself to be extending my work permit so I didn't think I'd be applying for "the first time". Thanks for clarifying!

But what would I put in my current employer information? There's no option to say that I'm not currently employed