+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to get both? Study Permit or Student Visa

bradae

Jan 27, 2013
Hi all,

I'm a temporary foreign worker here in Canada and I'm planning to study. Do I still need to apply for student visa? Does a study permit requires a student visa? By the the way my working visa is already expired.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A study visa and study permit are the same thing.

In my opinion your chances of being approved for a study visa are low. To be approved, you must demonstrate you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans to remain in Canada long term. This will be difficult to prove given you are in Canada on an expired work visa.

bradae

Jan 27, 2013
Hi there again, one more question.

I found this info from a university website in canada:

Applying for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

To enter or re-enter Canada

A Temporary Resident Visa is not the same as a Study Permit. They are two different documents for two separate purposes.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV): A document that allows you to enter Canada. It is the counterfoil sticker in your passport and is a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.

The expiry date on the TRV indicates the deadline date that you have to enter Canada. It is not the last day that you are allowed to stay in Canada.
The TRV does not need to be renewed when it expires unless you are planning to leave and then re-enter Canada

- I am concerned about your answer earlier whether I should get my TRV renewed or just skip it and apply for a study permit once i get admitted by a post-secondary institution. thank you for your patience.

rg2012

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
A study visa and study permit are the same thing.
I would disagree. A student permit allows you to study in Canada. And a student visa allows you to enter Canada. You cannot do without both unless you are already in the country. If you are already in Canada, you only need a permit. But if you plan to leave and re-enter, you will need the appropriate visa stamped on your passport. You cannot enter with a permit.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

bradae said:
Hi there again, one more question.

I found this info from a university website in canada:

Applying for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

To enter or re-enter Canada

A Temporary Resident Visa is not the same as a Study Permit. They are two different documents for two separate purposes.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV): A document that allows you to enter Canada. It is the counterfoil sticker in your passport and is a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.

The expiry date on the TRV indicates the deadline date that you have to enter Canada. It is not the last day that you are allowed to stay in Canada.
The TRV does not need to be renewed when it expires unless you are planning to leave and then re-enter Canada

- I am concerned about your answer earlier whether I should get my TRV renewed or just skip it and apply for a study permit once i get admitted by a post-secondary institution. thank you for your patience.

1. Honestly, I like your confidence. With an expired status, you are applying for SP inside Canada!