+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to fill "Residence outside Canada" form?

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Hello all!

I'm filling out the citizenship application forms, and in section 9 it asks:

"During your eligibility period, did you live outside of Canada: YES NO"
And it follows:
"If you checked YES, please complete and submit the Residence outside Canada form (CIT 0177) with your completed application, along with your print out of the Physical Presence Calculator"

This is the link to this form:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0177e-2.pdf

On the top of the form it says the form is for: "Adult citizenship applicants declaring residence outside Canada as a crown servant or with a crown servant family member", which clearly doesn't apply to me.

I spent about 2 months in the US, and 7 months back in my country travelling. I didn't have any address in Canada, but I was in Canada for the rest of that year and I filled out tax forms and had a job towards the end of that year

I'm confused and would appreciate help here. Thanks in advance!

Additional question:
Do I need to get the records of my travel from CBSA? I spent more than 250 days outside of Canada during this period and travelled at least 11 times.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
There are many discussions on this forum how to handle situation like yours. In summary you have following options:

- check YES, and don’t provide the additional form
- check YES, and provide the additional form, but write on NA on it

Apparently the first option was recommended on the IRCC Twitter account.

Second question - you don’t need to get the records, as you authorize in your application the IRCC to get them.