Do I need to file taxes in Canada?

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
reikiprince said:
Hello

We became Canada PR in Sep 2014. One year has passed and my wife and 6 year old child will go back to Canada and my wife will start working there. I will continue to be in UAE which is a tax free country.

My questions on taxation is as follows:

1) Obviously my wife has to pay taxes on her own Canada salary income. But does she have to show her husband's UAE income in her tax return. Also does she have to pay tax on her husband's UAE income. I do not pay taxes in UAE and there is no tax treaty between Canada and UAE.

2) If she conceals her husband's income and pays taxes only on her Canada SALARY income will she get into any trouble. I mean do they really bother to check overseas income of husbands even if she is not taking even 1 CAD in social security from Canada government. What she should show on her tax return as husband's income.

Basically I don't want to pay taxes on my UAE income to Canada government.

3) Do I need to file a tax return in Canada if I am not staying there and only my wife and child are staying there and if yes do I need to club it with my wife's tax return.

4) Is there any link you can suggest where Canada government gives step by step instruction on filing tax returns and calculation.

regards
reikiprince
When everyone files taxes and fill out the form, there is a box where you've to indicate your HUSBAND INCOME. In Canada, in UAE, China or in the Islamic State, it's irrelevant where the husband lives, you've to indicate it anyways.

I consider also that you'd have to make income declaration as your wife and child would be living in Canada so you'd be considered resident because of all your ties here.

You can read this: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html

You won't find any "step by step" because there are multiple considerations when making a tax declaration and because accountants and tax experts need clients ...

max09

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Hi Guys

I received my COPR and visa a couple of months ago. I am planning to visit Canada for 15 days in October in order to make my first entry and apply for PR card and SIN. I will also open a bank account while I am there and will put CAD5000 into it. I will then return to NZ where I am living right now and continue working here for some more time before I move back to CA permanently. When I have come back to NZ and while I am here I will keep transferring some money into my CA bank account so that the money accumulated will help me when I am moving permanently.
So taking my situation into consideration:
1) Will I be taxed on CAD5000 I deposited initially and any interest I earn on it?
2) Will I be taxed on more sum of money that I will keep transferring?

Please provide me your inputs.

Thanks

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
max09 said:
Hi Guys

I received my COPR and visa a couple of months ago. I am planning to visit Canada for 15 days in October in order to make my first entry and apply for PR card and SIN. I will also open a bank account while I am there and will put CAD5000 into it. I will then return to NZ where I am living right now and continue working here for some more time before I move back to CA permanently. When I have come back to NZ and while I am here I will keep transferring some money into my CA bank account so that the money accumulated will help me when I am moving permanently.
So taking my situation into consideration:
1) Will I be taxed on CAD5000 I deposited initially and any interest I earn on it?
2) Will I be taxed on more sum of money that I will keep transferring?

Please provide me your inputs.

Thanks
1) No, you won't be taxed for the $5 you will get in interests.
2) You can bring 5 million dollars, there is no tax for that, you could be taxed only for the interest you earn.
If you put your money in a Tax Free Saving Account, you can deposit $10K every year without paying a single dollar, read here http://www.tfsa.gc.ca/

max09

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Thanks Neutral.

neutral said:
1) No, you won't be taxed for the $5 you will get in interests.
2) You can bring 5 million dollars, there is no tax for that, you could be taxed only for the interest you earn.
If you put your money in a Tax Free Saving Account, you can deposit $10K every year without paying a single dollar, read here http://www.tfsa.gc.ca/

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Dear Neutral /others

your answers were very valuable and helped me plan my next steps in canada.

I have got my Pr card ;) as i landed at the first of august

this is a sum of what i done :

- landed in 1st of august and stayed for 3 weeks ONLY and me and my wife went back to our country of origion for now

- we opened a bank account in both our names and also my wife opened a safety deposit box ,,,,BUT OCCASIONALLY(ONCE A MONTH ) WE USE THE VISA CARD ATTACHED TO THAT ACCOUNT

- we did not apply for a health car, driver license nor did we rent a house

MY QUESTION IS THE FOLLOWING ??

ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FILL ANY PAPER WORK AND DECLARE OUR INCOME IN ORIGIONAL COUNTRY ???? OR WE SIMPLY DONT DO ANYTHING?
HOW WILL CRA KNOW THAT WE LEFT CANADA ?!!! THEY DIDNT STAMP OUR PASSPORT UPON LEAVING CANADA!!

THANKS ALOOOOOOOOOOOOT

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cooldoc80 said:
Dear Neutral /others

your answers were very valuable and helped me plan my next steps in canada.

I have got my Pr card ;) as i landed at the first of august

this is a sum of what i done :

- landed in 1st of august and stayed for 3 weeks ONLY and me and my wife went back to our country of origion for now

- we opened a bank account in both our names and also my wife opened a safety deposit box ,,,,BUT OCCASIONALLY(ONCE A MONTH ) WE USE THE VISA CARD ATTACHED TO THAT ACCOUNT

- we did not apply for a health car, driver license nor did we rent a house

MY QUESTION IS THE FOLLOWING ??

ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FILL ANY PAPER WORK AND DECLARE OUR INCOME IN ORIGIONAL COUNTRY ???? OR WE SIMPLY DONT DO ANYTHING?
HOW WILL CRA KNOW THAT WE LEFT CANADA ?!!! THEY DIDNT STAMP OUR PASSPORT UPON LEAVING CANADA!!

THANKS ALOOOOOOOOOOOOT
Congratulations ....... salam alleykum ;D

According to law, only people who has to pay taxes is obligated to fill out income declarations. As you moved back to Jordan, you are not a Canadian resident for taxes purposes) and you don't have any income in Canada so you don't have nothing to declare.

Canada (as USA) don't check who leave the country. They already spend a lot of money controlling who enters .... CRA doesn't control your mobility .... this is CANADA, you have to start thinking differently, although still living in your country would make that difficult :p

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
thanks buddy , its such a relief to know that ;)

i guess you are right regarding the change of the way of thinking as we were raised to always worry and be afraid in our countries from the goverment

i need to move there to start the transformation into a FREE man 8)

bless you

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
Hi seniors

I appreciate your advices:

I am landing in December 2015, the question is should I file taxes for 2015?
2-my income in 2015 was really low, is that a plus point to be eligible for some financial aids or any kinda aids for the next year?

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
neutral said:
Congratulations ....... salam alleykum ;D

According to law, only people who has to pay taxes is obligated to fill out income declarations. As you moved back to Jordan, you are not a Canadian resident for taxes purposes) and you don't have any income in Canada so you don't have nothing to declare.

Canada (as USA) don't check who leave the country. They already spend a lot of money controlling who enters .... CRA doesn't control your mobility .... this is CANADA, you have to start thinking differently, although still living in your country would make that difficult :p

Dear Neutral

good day

it seems that every now and then i read somthing crazy from the internet about taxation in canada and i come running back to this thread to get advise from you ;)

as i told you in last post I only stayed in canada for free weeks after landing and the only tie i have is a bank account which i'm transferring money to it every 6 months from my savings and income (from outside of canada )

i'm planing to move back to canada within 2 years .

IS IT TRUE THAT I HAVE TO CHANGE my bank account contact address ???? when i opened account i used my friend canadian address as the bank employee told me that i should use a canadian address ?

someone told me that I should declare to the bank that i'm not a resident of canada and tell them to change my address to my current international address in jordan !!!!!! he even advised me to close the account ?

do i have to declare anything to bank like he say ? would i simply be considered a resident of canada because my contact address at my bank account shows a local canadian address !!!

Thanks Neutral for all your help in advance

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........

pancham

Jan 10, 2016
Paying taxes to any specific country or countries has been very confusing especially when tax laws complex. Each country has its own laws for taxes and those sometime may cause taxpayers to pay more taxes.
To resolve this issue, United Nations Organization has set guidelines way back in 1980s (very few people know this) and it can be stated in layman's term as follows ;

"Person should not pay income tax twice or more on the portion of the income that a person has already paid taxes to one country." - Please note the word portion of income is important.

If you are in a situation where you need to pay taxes to more than one country then you need to asses which country is offering you or your community more services and benefits. Consider paying more taxes to that country. After all taxes you pay are returned back in the form of government services and benefits.

I hope this is helpful.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
hi neutral and the rest of the guys

as the taxation months come closer i start to be afraid again !!!!

every now i read or hear somthing that make me afraid of the taxation ?!!!

Just finished a call with a friend of mine who lives in canada and he assured me that even if i dont live in canada and even if i'm a none resident , I still have to file a tax income report to CRA?!!!!!

just to sum it up again , I only landed and stayed in canada for three weeks at (august /2015) and we plan to settle after 2 years from now .

during that time I only done the following:

-opened bank account for me and my wife. every couple of months we are transfering money to it from our savings so it could cover us up later when we make our final move to canada

- only applied at SIN at airport . we have no driver license , no health card ,no property , no relative and nothing else related to canda .

please guide me as i have to make a decision whether i file or not during march/april taxation deadline

thanks guys

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
Why not call CRA and ask?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
cooldoc80 said:
just to sum it up again , I only landed and stayed in canada for three weeks at (august /2015) and we plan to settle after 2 years from now .
The issue is that when you land to become PR, you are officially declaring yourself a resident of Canada (even you leave soon after). So you declared yourself a resident of Canada in 2015 when you landed. Hence CRA may consider you a resident in 2015, and hence taxable, because of this. This is all just a guess from me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. And as someone suggested, you may be best off simply calling CRA

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
but i'm afraid if i call them i may trigger somthing that is not required !