+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i need to extend student visa if not travelling out of Canada?

Navtej Singh

Dec 1, 2016
Hello,

I had recently applied to extend my Study Permit as it was expiring on 31st of December. Also, my student visa was expiring on the same.

I have received my study permit extension.

However, I am not planning on travelling out of Canada at the moment. Do I still need to renew my Visa?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

You are not required to have a valid TRV while in Canada but you really should apply for one anyways. If there is an emergency or something that requires you to return to your home country, you will find it far easier to already have a valid TRV instead of needing to apply for one from your home country. There are many people who have had to suddenly return home and found themselves stuck outside of Canada, with studies or jobs on hold, while they wait for a new TRV.

Navtej Singh

Dec 1, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

You are not required to have a valid TRV while in Canada but you really should apply for one anyways. If there is an emergency or something that requires you to return to your home country, you will find it far easier to already have a valid TRV instead of needing to apply for one from your home country. There are many people who have had to suddenly return home and found themselves stuck outside of Canada, with studies or jobs on hold, while they wait for a new TRV.
Thank you for your kind response.

This was very helpful!