+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to apply for a travel document?

shanchu

Jan 17, 2013
Dear All,

I completed landing and stayed in Canada for one month. Then I went back to Hong Kong for packing things. So I haven't received my pr card. I hold a Hong Kong passport which is from a visa exempt country. Do I need to apply for a travel document in order to return to Canada? I saw people saying here that we do not need one if we are from a visa exempt country. However I called visa office and was told that I need to apply one. Can anyone help clarifying this or did anyone return to Canada without a travel doc or a pr card? Thanks alot! :)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
shanchu said:
Dear All,

I completed landing and stayed in Canada for one month. Then I went back to Hong Kong for packing things. So I haven't received my pr card. I hold a Hong Kong passport which is from a visa exempt country. Do I need to apply for a travel document in order to return to Canada? I saw people saying here that we do not need one if we are from a visa exempt country. However I called visa office and was told that I need to apply one. Can anyone help clarifying this or did anyone return to Canada without a travel doc or a pr card? Thanks alot! :)
Technically the airlines are supposed to require a Canadian PR to present a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document before being allowed to board a flight destined for Canada. This applies to travelers with a visa-exempt passport.

Practically, however, the airlines ordinarily check boarding passengers just to make sure the passenger possesses a Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. On its face, a visa-exempt passport is such a Travel Document. Thus, this and other forums have many reports of Canadian PRs presenting just their visa-exempt passport and being allowed to board a flight destined for Canada, with no need to present a PR card.

So far I have not seen anyone report being denied boarding in this scenario. But of course that is no guarantee it has not happened or will not happen.

Thus, overall, it appears the odds are very good that there will be no problem boarding the flight by displaying the visa-exempt passport, but again technically the airline is supposed to check for the PR card or a PR TD.

But you nailed a key factor when you asked if there was anyone with experience boarding a flight from HK. In addition to the screening done by the airlines, which can vary from airline to airline and may also vary depending on the country in which the flight originates, many countries have exit controls and thus the respective country also screens departing passengers. The nature and scope of this screening varies extensively from country to country. In most countries I doubt (but do not really know) this involves screening relative to status in the destination country. If, however, it does, that could pose a problem.

Hopefully someone who does indeed have more experience with this scenario relative to HK specifically will respond. Beyond that, I presume you have previously traveled to Canada by boarding a flight in HK and have some experience yourself with what the exit controls are like and how it goes when the airlines does it screening as you board the flight.

Otherwise, you do not need the PR card for entry into Canada. Landing documents plus passport with cancelled PR visa should easily suffice once you land at the POE in Canada.

shanchu

Jan 17, 2013
dpenabill said:
Technically the airlines are supposed to require a Canadian PR to present a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document before being allowed to board a flight destined for Canada. This applies to travelers with a visa-exempt passport.

Practically, however, the airlines ordinarily check boarding passengers just to make sure the passenger possesses a Travel Document authorizing entry into Canada. On its face, a visa-exempt passport is such a Travel Document. Thus, this and other forums have many reports of Canadian PRs presenting just their visa-exempt passport and being allowed to board a flight destined for Canada, with no need to present a PR card.

So far I have not seen anyone report being denied boarding in this scenario. But of course that is no guarantee it has not happened or will not happen.

Thus, overall, it appears the odds are very good that there will be no problem boarding the flight by displaying the visa-exempt passport, but again technically the airline is supposed to check for the PR card or a PR TD.

But you nailed a key factor when you asked if there was anyone with experience boarding a flight from HK. In addition to the screening done by the airlines, which can vary from airline to airline and may also vary depending on the country in which the flight originates, many countries have exit controls and thus the respective country also screens departing passengers. The nature and scope of this screening varies extensively from country to country. In most countries I doubt (but do not really know) this involves screening relative to status in the destination country. If, however, it does, that could pose a problem.

Hopefully someone who does indeed have more experience with this scenario relative to HK specifically will respond. Beyond that, I presume you have previously traveled to Canada by boarding a flight in HK and have some experience yourself with what the exit controls are like and how it goes when the airlines does it screening as you board the flight.

Otherwise, you do not need the PR card for entry into Canada. Landing documents plus passport with cancelled PR visa should easily suffice once you land at the POE in Canada.
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it! I have landing document and passport. What do you mean by passport with cancelled PR visa?

CastorT

Jul 12, 2015
shanchu said:
Dear All,

Dear all here,
Im from Taiwan holding a visa exempt to Canada as well,and i havent got my renew PR card. Im wondering if i need this TD things?
thanks a lot!!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
shanchu said:
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it! I have landing document and passport. What do you mean by passport with cancelled PR visa?
Ordinarily, unless the PR has obtained a new passport after landing and becoming a Canadian PR, the original PR visa with which the individual (then a FN) came to Canada to become a PR was affixed in the passport. At the time of landing this visa is cancelled (it is a one-use visa), and reflects that it has been used and the individual has landed. Importantly this shows the date of landing in addition to the fact of landing, and thus when you are at the POE seeking re-entry into Canada, your passport alone (but especially if accompanied by the CoPR) will show you are a PR returning to Canada.

If for whatever reason you do not have a cancelled PR visa in your passport, that is a circumstance I am not familiar with.

By the way: what you are in the process of doing is very common. Many new PRs must return to their home country, or the country where they were residing, soon after landing. This is for various reasons, ranging from settling affairs to completing employment commitments to other reasons. CBSA and CIC are well familiar with this. Thus, there should be no problems at all at the POE when you return.

The only question is whether or not the visa-exempt passport will suffice for boarding the flight itself. Anecdotal reports strongly suggest it will, despite the technical rule that a Canadian PR should present a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document.

CastorT said:
Im from Taiwan holding a visa exempt to Canada as well,and i havent got my renew PR card. Im wondering if i need this TD things?
My first post above addresses whether a visa-exempt passport is sufficient for purposes of boarding an international flight destined for Canada. Technically it is not for PRs, but practically it has been . . . although some participants in this and other forums strongly suggest not mentioning one's PR status, but rather just show the airlines personnel the visa-exempt passport (may help to have the passport already opened to the photo and bio page).

I would just caution that while I have seen no PRs report a problem using a visa-exempt passport to board a flight destined for Canada, the number of reports of no problem using the visa-exempt passport is small, and as I recall predominantly by PRs traveling to Canada from the U.S., the UK, and Western Europe, with very few reports of actual experience flying from other parts of the world.

So there is no guarantee. So, if there is time to apply for and obtain the PR Travel Document, that is probably the more prudent approach.

Of course, a PR applying for a PR Travel Document must submit proof of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, recognizing that there is a presumption that a PR abroad without a valid PR card does NOT have valid PR status. This is mostly a technicality totally shifting the burden of presentation and proof to the PR, and is thus fairly easily overcome with a reasonable showing of proof. Nonetheless, the burden of proof is on the PR to show compliance with the PR RO and a failure to do so will result in the denial of the application for the PR TD . . . and that is an adjudication resulting in the loss of PR status (unless successfully appealed).

The situation for shanchu is different because the date of landing is so recent. Indeed, for a PR still within the first three years of landing, there is no question about compliance with the PR RO, since there is still enough time left prior to the fifth year anniversary of landing to meet the PR RO. After the third year anniversary of landing, however, compliance is a question of fact in which actual time spent in Canada needs to be established in order to prove compliance.

If you are allowed to board the flight to Canada by presenting only a visa-exempt passport, upon arrival at the POE in Canada once the border officers have confirmed your identity and status as a PR, you must be allowed to enter Canada. But of course, if you do not have a currently valid PR card you are likely to be questioned about residency.

If you only recently left Canada, and you have a new PR card application in process, and CIC has no concerns or questions about your qualifications for the new card, the POE examination may be perfunctory despite your lack of a currently valid PR card. But otherwise, anticipate an examination regarding compliance with the PR Residency Obligation . . . so, best to have at least some documentation to show you have been residing in Canada, including Canadian identification (drivers license, health card), some documentation showing where you live (or have lived) in Canada, similarly relative to employment in Canada.

Worst case scenario: you still are allowed to enter Canada, but if the examining officer concludes you have not complied with the Residency Obligation, a 44(1) Report will be issued, followed by a Removal Order (unless you successfully present H&C grounds), which you must appeal within 30 days.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As alluded to by dpenabill two aspects here to the travel:

1. Boarding the plane - all the airline want to know is that you can travel to Canada and if bounced at the border that the airline doesn't get fined by CBSA. If visitor visa exempt then the airline usually assumes you are a tourist and board you ok. To cover any risk of fines if the traveller is bounced the airline may insist on you holding a return ticket if you don't have evidence of some form of long term or permanent status in Canada e.g student visa, work permit, PR Card, Canadian passport. For commercial reasons it seems most airlines don't sweat this requirement..likely the revenue from bums on seats offsets any fines. As with all jobs though there is always some person that goes beyond their mandate and you will sometimes get a check in agent wanting to know of your status in Canada despite you holding a visitor visa exempt passport - you have every right to tell them its none of your business but then they could say its our airline our rules.

2. Admission at the POE - Canadian Citizens and Registered Indians have unrestricted right of entry. PRs are entitled to enter subject to the CBSA agent confirming their PR Status (All CBSA can do is report you for inadmissibility usually breach of the RO or confirm you are not a PR who had an inadmissibility report and got timed out before appealing in which case you are no longer a PR).

Most visitor visa exempt nationals would rather save the 50 bucks and hassle of getting a PRTD so they take chance on hassle free boarding and deal with CBSA at the POE.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You will be fine to travel on the strength of a visa-exempt passport as if you were a visitor. Do not mention your PR status to the airline, as they may refuse to board you without a PR card or PRTD.

fvidania

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
I'm in the same situation. I did my landing last week in Alberta and I'm travelling to Spain in September. I'm from Spain and we are exempt of a Visa. I'm planning to apply for Travel Document but it's confusing how to do it, where and when. Can I do it right now from Canada? or I have to wait to be in Spain to do it? I know I'll have to send it to the Canada Embassy in Paris though.

If that doesn't work, I hope It's enough with my passport though!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fvidania said:
I'm in the same situation. I did my landing last week in Alberta and I'm travelling to Spain in September. I'm from Spain and we are exempt of a Visa. I'm planning to apply for Travel Document but it's confusing how to do it, where and when. Can I do it right now from Canada? or I have to wait to be in Spain to do it? I know I'll have to send it to the Canada Embassy in Paris though.

If that doesn't work, I hope It's enough with my passport though!
Just travel back with your Spanish passport why bother with the hassle of the PRTD since you can board the plane easy enough.

rhyme17

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
Doc's Request.
2-03-2013
File Transfer...
05-06-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
Passport Req..
23 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
Hey guys,
I am going to land in Canada soon. Can I get travel document (permanent resident abroad) ?
As I won't have my PR card because I have to leave soon. So, for entering again to Canada I would be needing this travel document.

P.S :I am not from visa exempt country.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
rhyme17 said:
Hey guys,
I am going to land in Canada soon. Can I get travel document (permanent resident abroad) ?
As I won't have my PR card because I have to leave soon. So, for entering again to Canada I would be needing this travel document.

P.S :I am not from visa exempt country.
Yes, you will need to get a PRTD