+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need new work permit as director and employee of newly incorporated company

niravc

Mar 26, 2012
Hi,
I came to Canada in July 2011 on closed work permit. Validity of my temporary resident visa is till 2014. Recently I had to resign from my job and now I am planning to work as Independent consultant. I am thinking about incorporating a company in Canada with my relative and friend (Both are Canadian Citizen). I will be playing role of director and employee in this new company. Could I transfer my work permit to this new company ? if not could I apply for new work permit for my own company ?

Thanks,
Neerav

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you cannot transfer your work permit to this new company. It's a closed work permit and is tied to your original employer.

If you wish to work for a new employer / company, that employer will have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion. If the Labour Market Opinion is approved, you can then apply for a new work permit. Once the new work permit is approved, you can then start working for the new company.

More information on LMOs is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

scylla said:
No - you cannot transfer your work permit to this new company. It's a closed work permit and is tied to your original employer.

If you wish to work for a new employer / company, that employer will have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion. If the Labour Market Opinion is approved, you can then apply for a new work permit. Once the new work permit is approved, you can then start working for the new company.

More information on LMOs is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

An addition for a company that is newly created, with no employees or track record, the chances of getting an approved LMO Nil.

m a chy

Aug 10, 2013
What if a person is on open post graduate work permit? Can he/she be a director and employee taking only salary for the hours of work done?