+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need eTA if I land?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Assuming you have a COPR/PR visa and are landing for the first time, No.

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
specialmary said:
Hey, Asivad! Thanks for your reply! How are you doing? Enjoying your time in Canada?
For sure!

Quick addition to the previous message - you do NOT need to apply for an eTA if you are the citizen of a visa required country because your PR visa by itself satisfies entry conditions. However, you would still need an eTA if you are from a visa exempt country because you will only have the COPR but not a valid Canadian visa as you are, by definition, not required to have a visa to enter Canada. Assuming you have your COPR, I expect the eTA to be issued within hours if not earlier.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dan_and said:
That's not correct. An eTA is not required.

"I have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and will travel to Canada. Do I need an eTA?

No. If you are from a visa-exempt country and have been issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document, you do not need an eTA."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16
Mea Culpa!

I knew I had seen that somewhere hence the confidence in my initial (and, in hindsight, accurate) reply. Thanks for pointing out the error.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Regardless of what the CIC site says, the CoPR is not valid for travel, and the airlines won't let you fly without an eTA, visa, or status document.