+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a visa?

Sep 17, 2019
Hi there! I'm currently in the process of filling out paperwork for PR via Spousal Sponsorship, however, I'm a bit confused. I am a female from the US, with no current Canadian visa, and married to a BC man. I have been staying with him in BC for 6 months at a time, and going back to the US so I don't overstay in Canada. Should I apply for some sort of visitor visa before I turn in my inland PR application so I have some type of status, while it's being processed? I'm trying to apply inland, because I want an open work permit, as well. Sorry if that seems like a silly question, I am just very frazzled and nervous over the whole thing, as I would like to stay in BC with my husband. Thank you. :)

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi there! I'm currently in the process of filling out paperwork for PR via Spousal Sponsorship, however, I'm a bit confused. I am a female from the US, with no current Canadian visa, and married to a BC man. I have been staying with him in BC for 6 months at a time, and going back to the US so I don't overstay in Canada. Should I apply for some sort of visitor visa before I turn in my inland PR application so I have some type of status, while it's being processed? I'm trying to apply inland, because I want an open work permit, as well. Sorry if that seems like a silly question, I am just very frazzled and nervous over the whole thing, as I would like to stay in BC with my husband. Thank you. :)
You are a US citizen, so do not need a visa to visit. BUT you must be actually IN Canada before you can apply for inland spousal sponsorship. So just turn up as a normal visitor and only answer what is asked. You are visiting your husband. Once in, then if you apply for an OWP at the same time as spousal sponsorship, you will be on implied status and so quite legal.

Reactions: Murcielaga1996
Sep 17, 2019
Thank you
You are a US citizen, so do not need a visa to visit. BUT you must be actually IN Canada before you can apply for inland spousal sponsorship. So just turn up as a normal visitor and only answer what is asked. You are visiting your husband. Once in, then if you apply for an OWP at the same time as spousal sponsorship, you will be on implied status and so quite legal.
Thank you! This helps a lot. There's a lot of additional confusing information, everywhere, online. I think I read somewhere that I needed to have some type of status in Canada before I applied for an OWP.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thank you

Thank you! This helps a lot. There's a lot of additional confusing information, everywhere, online. I think I read somewhere that I needed to have some type of status in Canada before I applied for an OWP.
You do / will. You will have visitor status!