+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

kenkenk

Full Member
Apr 9, 2025
40
10
Hi everyone,


I’m currently on a work permit in Canada under the Startup Visa program, and my permit is about to expire soon. I’m planning to apply for an extension, but I realized that my IELTS score (which I used for my original application) will expire this year.


I’m wondering:


  • Do I need to submit a valid (non-expired) IELTS score when I apply to renew my work permit?
  • Or is the original IELTS score (even if expired) still sufficient for work permit extension purposes?

I haven’t been able to find a clear answer, and it seems a bit excessive if I have to keep retaking the IELTS just to maintain an active work permit. Has anyone been in the same situation or received clarification from IRCC?


Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 
I'm in the same boat as you. I got my PGWP in 2023 and now since Nov 2024 they require everyone to have valid IELTS to apply for PGWP.

I'm not sure if I should take the test again or not required as I am only extending.

Did you get any answers?
 
I didn’t get an answer, and since my IELTS is about to expire, I figured waiting to submit my work permit renewal would just cause more hassle. So, I decided to go ahead and submit the renewal now and wait for the result.
If there’s any progress, I’d appreciate an update.
 
Renewing a work permit can involve several requirements, so checking the latest immigration rules is a smart step. IELTS requirements may vary depending on the country, permit type, and individual circumstances. For those doing local information research, Marion FL Records Search can also be useful for finding organized records and related details. It’s always best to confirm language requirements with the relevant immigration authority before applying.
 
Renewing a work permit can involve several requirements, so checking the latest immigration rules is a smart step. IELTS requirements may vary depending on the country, permit type, and individual circumstances. For those doing local information research, Marion FL Records Search can also be useful for finding organized records and related details. It’s always best to confirm language requirements with the relevant immigration authority before applying.
It’s best to check the latest IRCC requirements for your specific permit before applying, as rules can change. Avoid relying on unrelated third-party websites for immigration advice.