+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a sponsor?

moraz

Sep 12, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm an international student applying for my temporary resident visa as it expired back in July. I already extended my study permit and right now I am submitting the documents needed for my visa.
The issue is I am confused with the "letter from the person or institution providing you with money" in the proof of means of financial support" part. My parents pay for my tuition so for every document required in the financial section I put their documents, statements of account, property, etc. For the letter from "the person or institution", I included a letter from the institution that provides the money. I did that for my first study permit+visa and for my study permit extension. However, I read that they would in some way be my sponsors? So I would have to include a letter from them as well?

I wasn't asked to do so the previous times, even though the requirement was also there, so I don't know if I should just ignore it or attach a letter from them as well?

Also, I read the sponsor has to include in the letter their statement of account, and that is also confusing as every document I'm uploading is from them. Would I only have to explain their relation to me/include their ID, etc?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Your parents are your sponsors since they are paying the expenses, you just need a letter from them explaining that they are paying and how much, this is the letter from "person or institution"