+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a new PCC if I never left Canada?

Feb 21, 2024
I'm planning to apply for citizenship with a buffer of 30 days. I'm a bit confused. I submitted a PCC from India during my immigration application and according to the website, I won't need one again since I didn't spent more than 6 months in Canada.

However, everyone knows that immigration PCC have a validity of 6 months. My application took 5 months to process and after that I landed in Canada after 6 months of my immigrant visa being issued. Meanwhile I was also in France for three months. So technically by the time I landed in Canada as a PR, my PCC had already expired for months. So will I need to submit a new PCC now along with my citizenship application or the old one will do?

I never left Canada after arriving there. Not even for a single day!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm planning to apply for citizenship with a buffer of 30 days. I'm a bit confused. I submitted a PCC from India during my immigration application and according to the website, I won't need one again since I didn't spent more than 6 months in Canada.
The answer is just there, waiting for you to conclude that it is the answer, but your brain is whispering "overthink it! Think about it again! What if what if what if what if?"

Which one are you going to listen to?

Follow the instructions. If they determine they need a PCC, they'll ask for it.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020

However, everyone knows that immigration PCC have a validity of 6 months. My application took 5 months to process and after that I landed in Canada after 6 months of my immigrant visa being issued. Meanwhile I was also in France for three months. So technically by the time I landed in Canada as a PR, my PCC had already expired for months. So will I need to submit a new PCC now along with my citizenship application or the old one will do?

Your Indian PCC is still valid . It doesn’t expire until you return to india and stay continuously 180 days or 6 months in a row . Indian PCC doesn’t have expiration date . You can use old one . Also in your case you haven’t stayed in india for 6 months, so you don’t even need to attach PCC .

Feb 21, 2024
The answer is just there, waiting for you to conclude that it is the answer, but your brain is whispering "overthink it! Think about it again! What if what if what if what if?"

Which one are you going to listen to?

Follow the instructions. If they determine they need a PCC, they'll ask for it.
I know but not everyone is as intelligent as you.

Feb 21, 2024
Your Indian PCC is still valid . It doesn’t expire until you return to india and stay continuously 180 days or 6 months in a row . Indian PCC doesn’t have expiration date . You can use old one . Also in your case you haven’t stayed in india for 6 months, so you don’t even need to attach PCC .
But when I filed for Express Entry they said that the PCC must be 6 months or less. So IRCC isn't concerned that after getting my visa I stayed in India for 6 months more before landing. I can still use that PCC?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
But when I filed for Express Entry they said that the PCC must be 6 months or less. So IRCC isn't concerned that after getting my visa I stayed in India for 6 months more before landing. I can still use that PCC?
Yes . You can still use that PCC . It’s still valid . PCC issued from BLS doesn’t have expiry date . It’s still valid . You can use same old PCC . For express entry stream , PCC should not be 6 months old .

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
It is not required for your country of origin before becoming PR. Any period more than 180 days after landing even in your home country, you have to submit PCC. Before land or becoming PR nor required you can enter " "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada". Please read the forum " Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide"

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes . You can still use that PCC . It’s still valid . PCC issued from BLS doesn’t have expiry date . It’s still valid . You can use same old PCC . For express entry stream , PCC should not be 6 months old .
Why is whether it can be used for express entry stream relevant? It seems the OP is applying for citizenship. And in his/her specific circumstances, not required.