+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a job to sponsor my husband?

sarahdawnie

Feb 26, 2020
Hi, my husband and I just got married in November. We’re currently working through filling out the forms for sponsorship. I just wanted to know if I need a job to sponsor him? He’s from the States. Also I was wondering how long it takes to hear back and what are some of your guys experience with this all? I’m kinda worrying about everything with this. I don’t want him to have to go back to the States. Hoping for the best though. I’m young and dumb and new to this all. I wish i would of found these forums ages ago.

Amy23

Feb 19, 2020
Hi, my husband and I just got married in November. We’re currently working through filling out the forms for sponsorship. I just wanted to know if I need a job to sponsor him? He’s from the States. Also I was wondering how long it takes to hear back and what are some of your guys experience with this all? I’m kinda worrying about everything with this. I don’t want him to have to go back to the States. Hoping for the best though. I’m young and dumb and new to this all. I wish i would of found these forums ages ago.
For family sponsorship there is no minimum income requirement for sponsorship, so you can make minimum wage and still be able to sponsor (unless you are also trying to sponsor his underage kids, then you must meet the minimum financial requirement (read the BECOME A SPONSOR link here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility). If you don't have a job, you need to submit along with your application a detailed letter explaining how you plan to support your spouse so he doesn't become a burden to the system, as a sponsor you are financially responsible for him for 3 years after PR is granted I think. My fiance was between jobs when he sponsored me so we submitted proof of past jobs and "employability" and his level of education and my own, I went to university in my country and completed a 2 year program here in Canada so I am highly employable and able to support myself too), hope this helps

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You need a solid plan of support to show that you can support yourselves in Canada without welfare. You can show savings, current income, income potential, family assistance etc.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For family sponsorship there is no minimum income requirement for sponsorship, so you can make minimum wage and still be able to sponsor (unless you are also trying to sponsor his underage kids, then you must meet the minimum financial requirement (read the BECOME A SPONSOR link here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility). If you don't have a job, you need to submit along with your application a detailed letter explaining how you plan to support your spouse so he doesn't become a burden to the system, as a sponsor you are financially responsible for him for 3 years after PR is granted I think. My fiance was between jobs when he sponsored me so we submitted proof of past jobs and "employability" and his level of education and my own, I went to university in my country and completed a 2 year program here in Canada so I am highly employable and able to support myself too), hope this helps
There is no minimum financial requirement for sponsoring spouses AND dependent children. The requirement only applies if there is a dependent child with their own dependent child, i.e. a grandchild of the applicant.