+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a health Insurance to enter Canada? - Open work permit

Juxndx

Feb 10, 2021
Hello,

My wife is a work permit holder through IEC. She had to have a health insurance in order to enter Canada.
Now I have been approved my open work permit thanks to hers, and I’m waiting for my passport to arrive back.

My question is: Do I also need a health insurance in order to be allowed in Canada?

Thank you very much

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is always a good idea to have health insurance. They may allow you in but you should have some policy if something happpens. Is your wife in Canada now as I assume she has a job offer? Do you have written authorization to travel?

Juxndx

Feb 10, 2021
Thank you for your reply. Yes along with the passport with my visa I have the LOI and the travel authorization email they sent me when I requested an authorization for family reunification.
But I wonder if this changes my situation at immigration.? They say if you have an open work permit you can only come with a job offer.
But since I’m joining my wife they will low me to travel.
I know it’s better to have an insurance policy in case. But I’m not sure if it’s a requirement to enter Canada

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply. Yes along with the passport with my visa I have the LOI and the travel authorization email they sent me when I requested an authorization for family reunification.
But I wonder if this changes my situation at immigration.? They say if you have an open work permit you can only come with a job offer.
But since I’m joining my wife they will low me to travel.
I know it’s better to have an insurance policy in case. But I’m not sure if it’s a requirement to enter Canada
Do you have the written authorization to travel approving travel to Canada? If so, yes.

Juxndx

Feb 10, 2021
I haven't yet booked my flight, I hope to travel by the end of February. Yes, I do plan to do most of the quarantine with my wife, however, I believe now I need to pass 3 days at a designated hotel while I wait for a covid negative test, and then I could go home to continue quarantine.
Since I want to travel as soon as possible I didn't know if I could acquire the travel insurance once I'm in Canada, or if I have to have it in order to be admitted.

Thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I haven't yet booked my flight, I hope to travel by the end of February. Yes, I do plan to do most of the quarantine with my wife, however, I believe now I need to pass 3 days at a designated hotel while I wait for a covid negative test, and then I could go home to continue quarantine.
Since I want to travel as soon as possible I didn't know if I could acquire the travel insurance once I'm in Canada, or if I have to have it in order to be admitted.

Thanks a lot!
If your spouse lives in a small apartment quarantining with her may no longer be an option. Technically it specifies that you can't quarantine in a small apartment with non-travelers although it hasn't been enforced in many provinces. With the new quarantine rules there is supposed to be more scrutiny about quarantine plans.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Thanks a lot!
Is your wife working at home or quarantining with you. You may need to show that you have separate living quarters (room, bathroom) and no shared spaces.