+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a Canadian passport to travel to USA by land?

Fiore2017

Oct 31, 2017
Yesterday I get the Canadian Citizenship! Yep :)
In a week I have to go to USA by car and came back the same day. I have my Italian passport and the Canadian citizenship certificate + the Canadian Drive licence, Is it enough? I don't have enough time to get the Canadian Passport. Do I need a Canadian passport to travel to USA with my car, is it mandatory? Any advice is welcome!
Thank you in advance for the answers.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
You would use your Italian passport to enter the US, since it is visa-exempt. You would use the citizenship certificate to reenter Canada.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
You would use your Italian passport to enter the US, since it is visa-exempt. You would use the citizenship certificate to reenter Canada.
Pretty sure he/she would need an ESTA though in said Italian passport.

EDIT to Note: I am really not sure whether the above mentioned ESTA is applicable to land travel. I would clarify your needs with US CBP to ensure a smooth trip if I were you.

Fiore2017

Oct 31, 2017
To enter to USA is ok for me. I'm concern about my come back to Canada because I don't have the RP card any more that I used with my Italian passport.
Yesterday during the ceremony they told us that to enter to Canada we need the Canadian passport. Is it valid only for a flight trip?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
To enter to USA is ok for me. I'm concern about my come back to Canada because I don't have the RP card any more that I used with my Italian passport.
Yesterday during the ceremony they told us that to enter to Canada we need the Canadian passport. Is it valid only for a flight trip?
By any commercial transportation, bus, boat or air, you need a passport. By land, your certificate alone is fine.

Reactions: Fiore2017

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Pretty sure he/she would need an ESTA though in said Italian passport.

EDIT to Note: I am really not sure whether the above mentioned ESTA is applicable to land travel. I would clarify your needs with US CBP to ensure a smooth trip if I were you.
US visa exempts need an ESTA to fly into the US but crossing the land border they fill in an i94 at the US CBP checkpoint which believe may cost 6 usd.

Fiore2017

Oct 31, 2017
By any commercial transportation, bus, boat or air, you need a passport. By land, your certificate alone is fine.
Good advice...I did i94 at the US CBP checkpoint to enter to USA and my Canadian Citizenship Certificate was enough to come back. Thank you!

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
on the way back, did u have to get pulled into the CBSA office for re-entry or they waived you thru ??

Fiore2017

Oct 31, 2017
on the way back, did u have to get pulled into the CBSA office for re-entry or they waived you thru ??
At the check point while I was in my car, they checked my Italian passport and the Canadian Citizenship Certificate, they asked me some questions and that's it. I continued my drive.