+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I lose my study permit if I withdraw from my current course and apply to a different University instead?

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
So I recently applied to a University that is requesting me to provide a Proof of Withdrawal document from the institute I was previously attending. I was wondering how this would affect my study permit, as I would be formally withdrawing from my current course. As of now, I have not formally withdrawn from my current course but nor have I registered for the ongoing term of Fall 2021, in hopes of attending my current course in case I do not get admission elsewhere. Would I have to immediately leave the country or would I be allowed to stay until the duration of my study permit? I plan to extend and update my student visa once I get an admission offer from the University I have currently applied to. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
So I recently applied to a University that is requesting me to provide a Proof of Withdrawal document from the institute I was previously attending. I was wondering how this would affect my study permit, as I would be formally withdrawing from my current course. As of now, I have not formally withdrawn from my current course but nor have I registered for the ongoing term of Fall 2021, in hopes of attending my current course in case I do not get admission elsewhere. Would I have to immediately leave the country or would I be allowed to stay until the duration of my study permit? I plan to extend and update my student visa once I get an admission offer from the University I have currently applied to. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
How long have you been studying at your current school for? If you haven't been actively studying (i.e. fully registered and attended classes for a while), you will need a new study permit to continue studying at your new DLI. Whether or not, re-applying grants you implied status to allow you continue at your DLI - I am not sure.

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
How long have you been studying at your current school for? If you haven't been actively studying (i.e. fully registered and attended classes for a while), you will need a new study permit to continue studying at your new DLI. Whether or not, re-applying grants you implied status to allow you continue at your DLI - I am not sure.
My current course was supposed to be a 1-year diploma. The last term I attended was the Spring term this but did not register for the Fall one because I intended to continue my education at a University. I planned to update my visa when I got a new offer of admission but now that University is asking for a proof of withdrawal which is the issue. I just wanted to know if I would have enough time to stay in Canada until a receive a decision from the University I have applied to. If in case I have to leave the country would I also have to start the application process all from scratch as I did when I initially applied?

Last edited:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
My current course was supposed to be a 1-year diploma. The last term I attended was the Spring term this but did not register for the Fall one because I intended to continue my education at a University.
It appears you don't even have a new LOA yet? If you are out of school for longer than 150 days that will render you out of status. You will need to convert to a visitors visa and re-apply for your study permit.

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
It appears you don't even have a new LOA yet? If you are out of school for longer than 150 days that will render you out of status. You will need to convert to a visitors visa and re-apply for your study permit.
I attended the last term at my college which was the Spring term but did not register for the current Fall 2021 in hopes of getting into a University instead. It has not been more than 150 days yet. I just needed to know whether or not withdrawing from my current course would invalidate the duration of my current student visa. I'm in the last steps of having my University application processed and the proof of withdrawal is one of the last documents remaining. Also if I were to convert my student visa to a visitor visa, how would I go about doing that? Also would that mean that I would have to start the application process for student visas from scratch like I initially did?

Last edited:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I attended the last term at my college which was the Spring term but did not register for the current Fall 2021 in hopes of getting into a University instead. It has not been more than 150 days yet. I just needed to know whether or not withdrawing from my current course would invalidate the duration of my current student visa. I'm in the last steps of having my University application processed and the proof of withdrawal is one of the last documents remaining.
But you didn't register for this semester so what course are you withdrawing from? To not violate your SP conditions, you are supposed to be registered every semester, no? I can't quite understand your predicament based on the info you've provided. Hopefully someone else can provide more insight.

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
But you didn't register for this semester so what course are you withdrawing from? To not violate your SP conditions, you are supposed to be registered every semester, no? I can't quite understand your predicament based on the info you've provided. Hopefully someone else can provide more insight.
No, I did not register for the current term. I planned to return to the current program in case I do not get an admission offer from the University applied to so I did not withdraw either. That way I could re-enroll at my current institution in case I do not get admission elswhere.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
No, I did not register for the current term. I planned to return to the current program in case I do not get an admission offer from the University applied to so I did not withdraw either. That way I could re-enroll at my current institution in case I do not get admission elswhere.
just a reminder, should you decide to return to your current program, you will not be eligible for PGWP if the fall term is not a scheduled break. do take that into consideration.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
I think you should request the uni you are applying to for an offer before you withdraw from your current uni. What if you don't get an offer? In any case, you will have to change your status to visitor in the period between withdrawal and course commencement in the new uni since technically you are not enrolled anywhere during that period.

You should have applied elsewhere while being registered full time and transferred credits. Unless there is an issue somewhere, you are jeopardizing your study stint in Canada

Sam Ghm

Feb 8, 2021
My current course was supposed to be a 1-year diploma. The last term I attended was the Spring term this but did not register for the Fall one because I intended to continue my education at a University. I planned to update my visa when I got a new offer of admission but now that University is asking for a proof of withdrawal which is the issue. I just wanted to know if I would have enough time to stay in Canada until a receive a decision from the University I have applied to. If in case I have to leave the country would I also have to start the application process all from scratch as I did when I initially applied?
The main thing is, not going to university is not a university withdrawal. You should officially withdraw if you haven't already done so. Withdraw officially, and get the withdrawal proof and then send it to the new university. I believe, the current college will charge you some money if the withdrawal is beyond the withdrawal date

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I attended the last term at my college which was the Spring term but did not register for the current Fall 2021 in hopes of getting into a University instead. It has not been more than 150 days yet. I just needed to know whether or not withdrawing from my current course would invalidate the duration of my current student visa. I'm in the last steps of having my University application processed and the proof of withdrawal is one of the last documents remaining. Also if I were to convert my student visa to a visitor visa, how would I go about doing that? Also would that mean that I would have to start the application process for student visas from scratch like I initially did?
You could have already lost your study permit status by not registering or attending the fall semester (or summer semester if there was one required) and hadn’t asked for a leave of absence. Your school could have reported you as a no show.