+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i include time as a Refugee Claimant in the Physical Presence Calculator

Jnad

Nov 29, 2017
Do i include time as a Refugee Claimant in the Physical Presence Calculator? Maybe I have to put it in as a Temporary Resident Permit Holder? Please advise. Thank you

itslawson12

Feb 1, 2018
Do i include time as a Refugee Claimant in the Physical Presence Calculator? Maybe I have to put it in as a Temporary Resident Permit Holder? Please advise. Thank you
According to IRCC, time spent as a Refugee Claimant doesn’t count towards one’s physical presence. So, you won’t unfortunately be able to include that in the physical presence calculator as a Temporary Status.

Reactions: Hydi

Hydi

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
According to IRCC, time spent as a Refugee Claimant doesn’t count towards one’s physical presence. So, you won’t unfortunately be able to include that in the physical presence calculator as a Temporary Status.
So should we skip the refugee claimant period in the physical presence calculator? For me there will be 3 months gap. Where should i mention those 3 months of refugee claimant status?

TIA

capermanet

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
if online calculator ask you of course you should include. According to IRCC the time you spent in Canada as refugee counts half day, last 2 years( all you can count is a Year).

itslawson12

Feb 1, 2018
So should we skip the refugee claimant period in the physical presence calculator? For me there will be 3 months gap. Where should i mention those 3 months of refugee claimant status?

TIA
Like I said in my previous response, time spent in Canada as a Refugee Claimant doesn’t count towards your physical presence, so you wouldn’t be able to include it in the physical presence calculator (that’s what i did and I received AOR). However, you do need to include it on the actual citizenship form, in the section where you’re supposed to account for your overall eligible period (which is the 5 years immediately prior to the day you sign your application).

To directly answer your question...YES! You should skip the refugee claimant period on the PHYSICAL PRESENCE CALCULATOR ONLY, but do include it on the CITIZENSHIP FORM itself.

itslawson12

Feb 1, 2018
if online calculator ask you of course you should include. According to IRCC the time you spent in Canada as refugee counts half day, last 2 years( all you can count is a Year).
Not actually accurate! Time spent as a REFUGEE CLAIMANT does NOT count at all towards your physical presence, however, you can count time spent in Canada as a CONVENTION REFUGEE OR PROTECTED PERSON (a status you acquire after having a positive decision on your refugee claim).

sweet_mahsa

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Not actually accurate! Time spent as a REFUGEE CLAIMANT does NOT count at all towards your physical presence, however, you can count time spent in Canada as a CONVENTION REFUGEE OR PROTECTED PERSON (a status you acquire after having a positive decision on your refugee claim).
I hope you see this, what about having a work permit during this time? That would be part of a physical status?

lincolnys

Apr 25, 2021
Hi, I do not want to open a new thread because I think it is related to this thread.

I came to Canada on March 2, 2017, and I became a refugee claimant on May 19, 2017. My situation changed to the protected person on September 29, 2017. I know that the days between May and September do not count, but I was an international student between March 2, 2017, and May 19, 2017.

Do they count the days between March and May?

Thank you so much.