+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to include my common law partner?

Evens

Star Member
May 1, 2018
Hi, I am almost at one year of applying for PR. (November). One year ago me and my partner moved together therefore around that time we should live together about 1 year aka common law.
My question is that do I have to include her as my common partner? She is a Canadian citizen already and it will probably be a hassle to do it.... (my immigration agency will probably ask for more money...)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, I am almost at one year of applying for PR. (November). One year ago me and my partner moved together therefore around that time we should live together about 1 year aka common law.
My question is that do I have to include her as my common partner? She is a Canadian citizen already and it will probably be a hassle to do it.... (my immigration agency will probably ask for more money...)
She only needs to be listed in the additional family information, not as a dependent. In fact, you do not declare her at all until you actually become common-law, after cohabitation for at least 12 consecutive months. You are not common-law the moment you move in together.

Reactions: jes_ON

Evens

Star Member
May 1, 2018
She only needs to be listed in the additional family information, not as a dependent. In fact, you do not declare her at all until you actually become common-law, after cohabitation for at least 12 consecutive months. You are not common-law the moment you move in together.
Thank you so much!! I am just wondering that will it slow down the application process? Am I obligated to include her when we hit the one year goal? Will CRA and CIC investigate on us?

Jaykay101

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Thank you so much!! I am just wondering that will it slow down the application process? Am I obligated to include her when we hit the one year goal? Will CRA and CIC investigate on us?

If by the time you apply you’ve cohabited with your partner for 12 continuous months in a conjugal relationship then you’re no longer single and should declare common law to both the CRA and CIC. If there is a change to your marital status during the process you should declare it too. Any material change needs to be declared. Technically, common law is the same as being married. The fact that you’re asking if they will investigate means you know it’s wrong and you should declare it. Do not cut corners that would come back to bite you in the ass. Misrepresentation can be a big deal especially with CIC. Why risk it?

Reactions: Evens

Evens

Star Member
May 1, 2018
If by the time you apply you’ve cohabited with your partner for 12 continuous months in a conjugal relationship then you’re no longer single and should declare common law to both the CRA and CIC. If there is a change to your marital status during the process you should declare it too. Any material change needs to be declared. Technically, common law is the same as being married. The fact that you’re asking if they will investigate means you know it’s wrong and you should declare it. Do not cut corners that would come back to bite you in the ass. Misrepresentation can be a big deal especially with CIC. Why risk it?
Thank you so much! You are right and I will keep it in mind and prepare the document when time comes!

Reactions: Jaykay101