+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to attend the University for which I applied for VISA?

Bangladeshi_boy

Apr 15, 2018
While applying for student VISA, I used Memorial University of Newfoundland as my preferred university. I got VISA, and is planning to go to Canada soon (Jan 2018)

However, I don't want to study in that university. I am planning to go to another university (Carleton University) now.

So will this be an issue? I got acceptance/offer letter from both the university, but used MUN's name in my VISA application form. If I don't study in MUN and study in Carleton instead, will that be an issue? Do I need to provide this information to the VISA office or somewhere before traveling to Canada?

Please let me know as this is urgent.

Thank you.

Dec 6, 2018
No issue, you just need to update your DLI in myCIC account.
Dear bongoman,

I have recently received my student visa as an international student and my visa is under the process of attachment in my passport. My admission letter (4-year- study, undergraduate course) is for Winter 2019 however I have decided to change my university so that I will get admitted to the new school for Fall 2019 and meanwhile I am not going to travel to Canada until Fall 2019. Can I still change my DLI number while I have not entered Canada yet? And if so, will I get the Study Permit easily without any problem?

Thanks a lot

Bangladeshi_boy

Apr 15, 2018
Bongo man, thank you very much for answering. Now herein lies the problem:

In order to change DLI in CIC account, I need to first receive my Study Permit (the CIC account will need my study permit number or something). I still haven't received my study permit. My Letter of Introduction says "Your study permit will be issued to you upon arrival in Canada, subject to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act". So right now I only have 1) Canada's VISA stamped on my passport and 2) A letter of Introduction / Port of Entry letter.

After reaching Canada, I'll get my Study Permit.
So should I do the changing AFTER REACHING CANADA???

Bangladeshi_boy

Apr 15, 2018
Dear bongoman,

I have recently received my student visa as an international student and my visa is under the process of attachment in my passport. My admission letter (4-year- study, undergraduate course) is for Winter 2019 however I have decided to change my university so that I will get admitted to the new school for Fall 2019 and meanwhile I am not going to travel to Canada until Fall 2019. Can I still change my DLI number while I have not entered Canada yet? And if so, will I get the Study Permit easily without any problem?

Thanks a lot
Here's the thing. I too applied as an INTERNATIONAL STUDENT. I am from Bangladesh, I applied for Canadian VISA (Study Permit) from Bangladesh through VFS. I got my 1) Passport with VISA stamped on it and 2) Letter of Introduction, which stated study permit will be delivered to me after I reach there. So am I supposed to change my DLI before reaching Canada? Because without Study Permit (which I will get after reaching Canada), I cannot do any changing. So should I travel to Canada, and then receive my permit, and then do the changing?

Any international student who can help me??

King.bill

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Here's the thing. I too applied as an INTERNATIONAL STUDENT. I am from Bangladesh, I applied for Canadian VISA (Study Permit) from Bangladesh through VFS. I got my 1) Passport with VISA stamped on it and 2) Letter of Introduction, which stated study permit will be delivered to me after I reach there. So am I supposed to change my DLI before reaching Canada? Because without Study Permit (which I will get after reaching Canada), I cannot do any changing. So should I travel to Canada, and then receive my permit, and then do the changing?

Any international student who can help me??
You can disclose the change of school at POE before obtaining your study permit. If they don't ask you questions, you don't answer(CBSA officers don't really ask as many questions as most people think).
Once landed you can go ahead and fill the webform to notify IRCC of change in DLI.

Reactions: Bangladeshi_boy

Bangladeshi_boy

Apr 15, 2018
You can disclose the change of school at POE before obtaining your study permit. If they don't ask you questions, you don't answer(CBSA officers don't really ask as many questions as most people think).
Once landed you can go ahead and fill the webform to notify IRCC of change in DLI.
Thank you soo much for this. That's what I think too. For me to change DLI through online, I need Study Permit reference number. However, I will get that number once I reach Canada. So first I get the study permit, and then do the changing through online if needed.

When is the study permit given?

Thanks.

Reactions: Mehran Ahmadzadeh
Dec 6, 2018
I also thank you for your advice. Honestly I was really worried about changing the DLI before travelling to Canada but now I am satisfied that there is the possibility to change the DLI before and after receiving the study permit since we do have the application number.

Thank you again.

Dec 6, 2018
Thank you soo much for this. That's what I think too. For me to change DLI through online, I need Study Permit reference number. However, I will get that number once I reach Canada. So first I get the study permit, and then do the changing through online if needed.

Dear Bangladeshi_boy,

You can change the DLI anytime even before arriving at the border of Canada because you have your study permit application number. You can find this number in your Mycic account or at the top of any correspondence you have received from the IRCC till now.
I hope this helps.

All best

When is the study permit given?