+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have dual citizenship?

pblanchette

Dec 3, 2013
Hi, I just want to get some additional thoughts on this real quick.

My father was born in Canada and had citizenship since birth. I was born in the United States in 1994. My father still has Canadian citizenship today, so I assume that he had it when I was born. My question is this: does this mean that I was granted citizenship at birth? My parents don't recall doing any paperwork, but from what I've read that doesn't really matter. I've taken the "Am I Canadian?" Self-assessment test on the CIC website and it said that, based on my answers, I was most likely a citizen. I would like to get some thoughts on this. I also read something somewhere about having to maintain your citizenship by the age of 28 or you lose it, and I was wondering if that is still an active law or if that's been done away with?

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pblanchette said:
Hi, I just want to get some additional thoughts on this real quick.

My father was born in Canada and had citizenship since birth. I was born in the United States in 1994. My father still has Canadian citizenship today, so I assume that he had it when I was born. My question is this: does this mean that I was granted citizenship at birth? My parents don't recall doing any paperwork, but from what I've read that doesn't really matter. I've taken the "Am I Canadian?" Self-assessment test on the CIC website and it said that, based on my answers, I was most likely a citizen. I would like to get some thoughts on this. I also read something somewhere about having to maintain your citizenship by the age of 28 or you lose it, and I was wondering if that is still an active law or if that's been done away with?
Hello
Since your father was born in canada - he is citizen by birth unless he has given up his citizenship ( i dont see a reason why he would)
If he was a citizen at your birth - it does not mean you were granted citizenship - it just means that you are eligible for Canadian citizenship.
If your father is a canadian you can apply for citizenship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It sounds like you have the right to citizenship but you need to get clear that up and get proof of your citizenship to verify it. Use the application form found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp Once you get it, keep it safe because that is your proof. You can then use it to apply for a Canadian passport if you want one.

The need to retain your citizenship before the age of 28 was done away with in 2009 but at the same time, they passed a new law stating that children who were born outside Canada and gained their citizenship based on heritage, like yourself, can not pass citizenship to their own children if they are born outside Canada. Therefore, you will get citizenship but if your children are born outside Canada, they will not. However, if you wanted to move to Canada in the future, you would have the right to sponsor your spouse and children for permanent residency and they could gain citizenship later on.

pblanchette

Dec 3, 2013
Leon said:
It sounds like you have the right to citizenship but you need to get clear that up and get proof of your citizenship to verify it. Use the application form found here: Once you get it, keep it safe because that is your proof. You can then use it to apply for a Canadian passport if you want one.

The need to retain your citizenship before the age of 28 was done away with in 2009 but at the same time, they passed a new law stating that children who were born outside Canada and gained their citizenship based on heritage, like yourself, can not pass citizenship to their own children if they are born outside Canada. Therefore, you will get citizenship but if your children are born outside Canada, they will not. However, if you wanted to move to Canada in the future, you would have the right to sponsor your spouse and children for permanent residency and they could gain citizenship later on.
So, basically, I am considered a citizen in the eyes of the Canadian government but I need the citizenship certificate as proof? Because that seems consistent with what I've read. It's also very possible that I'm misunderstanding. Do I still need to apply for citizenship, or just the certificate?