+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have a chance?

aplus

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Hi all,

My sister lives in Canada (she's a permanent resident) and I want to apply for master's in there but I've heard that it's a risky decision since my sister is there.

What do you think? Is it worth applying or I shouldn't waste time, energy and money?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,

My sister lives in Canada (she's a permanent resident) and I want to apply for master's in there but I've heard that it's a risky decision since my sister is there.

What do you think? Is it worth applying or I shouldn't waste time, energy and money?
You will not know until you try. You need to show funds, career opportunities in your home country, strong ties to home country, reason to take program, travel history etc. Having a sister doesn’t stop you from getting a permit.

Reactions: aplus

aplus

Star Member
May 25, 2014
You will not know until you try. You need to show funds, career opportunities in your home country, strong ties to home country, reason to take program, travel history etc. Having a sister doesn’t stop you from getting a permit.
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

You definitely have a chance. Stick with reputable public universities. Stay away from private universities like Canada West.

aplus

Star Member
May 25, 2014
You definitely have a chance. Stick with reputable public universities. Stay away from private universities like Canada West.
Would it matter if I chose the province my sister lives in or the farthest province from it?
If I choose the same city, I could say that I want to stay with my sister so I don't have to pay rent. I think that makes sense and would be convinceable for the officer as well. Right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would it matter if I chose the province my sister lives in or the farthest province from it?
If I choose the same city, I could say that I want to stay with my sister so I don't have to pay rent. I think that makes sense and would be convinceable for the officer as well. Right?
I personally don't think the provinces matters.

IMO what matters a lot more is your choice of schools, ties to your home country, and showing a strong progression of studies.

aplus

Star Member
May 25, 2014
I personally don't think the provinces matters.

IMO what matters a lot more is your choice of schools, ties to your home country, and showing a strong progression of studies.
Thanks!
And last question: I've already submitted my express entry profile but due to heavy backlogs of applications, I'm thinking about canceling/withdrawing my application/profile and starting to apply for a study visa.
Will they know that I had an express entry profile? Or nobody can know before an ITA is issued?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi all,

My sister and her family live in Canada as PRs and that didn't affect me negatively at all. I listed here in the Family Information form as required, but made no other reference to her in my application or SOP.

Depending on how old you are, if you are able to show personal funds to foot your tuition and living expenses, having a PR sister doesn't matter. Most important is to choose a reasonable study program (preferably at a public University) that builds on your previous qualifications and future career goals.

You can choose the same province as your sister. Personally, I will not indicate that you intend to stay with your sister to save on rent, as that shows you cannot sufficiently cover your living expenses yourself.

Yes, they already know you have an EE profile, but that is not a problem at all. A Study permit application is completely different from EE profile. As long as you have not received an ITA or submitted a PR application, it has no bearing whatsoever on your SP application. Also, you don't have to withdraw/cancel your EE if you have good CRS points and waiting for ITA. You can open a new GCKey account and use that for your study permit application if you are worried.