+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do frequent border crossings cause problems?

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
I'm considering moving to a boarder town in the us sow I can legally work and live near Canada and cross the boarder. I would be looking for a job and spouse in Canada. will frequent short visits of a day or 2 cause me any problems. Should I limit the frequency of my visits and look online for the job and wife?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm considering moving to a boarder town in the us sow I can legally work and live near Canada and cross the boarder. I would be looking for a job and spouse in Canada. will frequent short visits of a day or 2 cause me any problems. Should I limit the frequency of my visits and look online for the job and wife?
How are you legally working in Canada? If you have a WP you are usually expected to live in Canada. There is usually an address specified on the WP especially for closed WPs. If you are working in the US, have a home in the US and savings then US citizens don’t usually have an issue crossing the border as long as the reason for their visits makes sense and there is no concern that they won’t return to the US. You can try and travel across the border as frequently as you want but it will up to the border agencies on both sides whether it is problematic.

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
How are you legally working in Canada? If you have a WP you are usually expected to live in Canada. There is usually an address specified on the WP especially for closed WPs. If you are working in the US, have a home in the US and savings then US citizens don’t usually have an issue crossing the border as long as the reason for their visits makes sense and there is no concern that they won’t return to the US. You can try and travel across the border as frequently as you want but it will up to the border agencies on both sides whether it is problematic.
I'm going to live and work I the United States right under the boarder to make it easier to look for an lmia job offer and or a spouse to sponsor me. I think finding a wife might be more realistic from what I've heard. I don't intend to overstay my welcome and don't have any intention of taking advantage of the system. It's going to take months to find a job or wife to sponsor me at minimum and if I get a job offer the lmia will take 3 or 4 months for the lmia to go threw. I can't come and stay on a vistor visa because I won't be allowed to work and It will probably take longer than the 6 months I would be aloud to stay in the country. Even if I save enough money to stay the full six months on a visitor visa I will probably not have enough time to get a job or spouse for sponsorship and will end up just loosing the money and going home empty handed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, this can sometimes cause problems and make it look like you're attempting to live in Canada / spending too much time in Canada as a visitor / not behaving like a normal visitor. Whether you are allowed into Canada and for how long is always up to CBSA.

Reactions: kit91

kit91

Sep 27, 2022
Yes, this can sometimes cause problems and make it look like you're attempting to live in Canada / spending too much time in Canada as a visitor / not behaving like a normal visitor. Whether you are allowed into Canada and for how long is always up to CBSA.
I can spend a couple of months outside Canada and spend a day or 2 inside or should I limit it more? I'm only going to cross the boarder for job interviews and to visit possible partners I don't need to be in the country often or for long periods. I can use the internet to talk to possible partners to limit my visits further.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can spend a couple of months outside Canada and spend a day or 2 inside or should I limit it more? I'm only going to cross the boarder for job interviews and to visit possible partners I don't need to be in the country often or for long periods. I can use the internet to talk to possible partners to limit my visits further.
A few days every few months shouldn’t be an issue especially if you can prove ties to the US like a job, home (even rental home) and savings. A few days every month is not a lot of visits. I was under the impression you may be wanting to visit daily at least multiple times a week. Many people have family across the border and visit frequently. As long as you can prove that you have good reason to return to the US and have enough money to support your travels then in general US citizens can easily cross the border as long as they don’t have a criminal records or previous bans from Canada.

• Love
Reactions: kit91

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That should be fine.

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
Crossing wouldn't affect you negatively in any way. Get a NEXUS card and have a good time.