+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do Americans need to do a GIC program?

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
Hi there my girlfriend from U.S wants to come study in Canada and live with me. I was talking to some co-workers who are from India and Vietnam, who have gone through a similar process of going to school internationally here. They mentioned that they had to do a GIC program which forced them to put 10k cad into a bank and they would release their money over time. We personally don't have this 10k to give up to a bank because I have the money and I will want to just show and prove I will support her as I have over 10k and stable income.

Is this a possibility?I heard it was some where in the forum.

Also another question, can she apply inside if Canada? I wanted her to come on a visitor visa for a while, then switch to a student visa. We are in BC so apparently we may need to go to Seattle for some of the applicaton for some reason? Can somebody explain that process?

Thanks guys!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there my girlfriend from U.S wants to come study in Canada and live with me. I was talking to some co-workers who are from India and Vietnam, who have gone through a similar process of going to school internationally here. They mentioned that they had to do a GIC program which forced them to put 10k cad into a bank and they would release their money over time. We personally don't have this 10k to give up to a bank because I have the money and I will want to just show and prove I will support her as I have over 10k and stable income.

Is this a possibility?I heard it was some where in the forum.

Also another question, can she apply inside if Canada? I wanted her to come on a visitor visa for a while, then switch to a student visa. We are in BC so apparently we may need to go to Seattle for some of the applicaton for some reason? Can somebody explain that process?

Thanks guys!
No - she does not have to do the GIC.

However she does need to show a bank balance that at a minimum, covers first year tuition + $10,000 in living expenses. So if first year tuition is $15,000, she needs to show a balance of at least $25,000 for the study permit to be approved.

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
No - she does not have to do the GIC.

However she does need to show a bank balance that at a minimum, covers first year tuition + $10,000 in living expenses. So if first year tuition is $15,000, she needs to show a balance of at least $25,000 for the study permit to be approved.
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I heard from somebody that I can show the 10k+ from my bank to prove that I will support her living expenses, and she can just cover her school fees. Is that correct?

Thanks

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
Also, what are alternative options, I heard I could get her to extend a visitor visa until 1 year and then we can apply for common law.

Would this be a cheaper option, and what are the chances of visitor visa extension online?

Thanks!