+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DLI change

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
Hi ! As per new DLI change rules (2021), can I travel on the same permit if I changed my DLI last year from India and am still here because of COVID or do I have to apply for a new one? I have already completed 1 year at my new DLI online. I travelled to Canada on the same permit once to attend my previous DLI but had to defer a year on medical grounds.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi ! As per new DLI change rules (2021), can I travel on the same permit if I changed my DLI last year from India and am still here because of COVID or do I have to apply for a new one? I have already completed 1 year at my new DLI online. I travelled to Canada on the same permit once to attend my previous DLI but had to defer a year on medical grounds.
You need to apply for a new Study permit before you travel.

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
Are you absolutely sure? Because I changed my DLI last year before starting my program in fall 2020. I haven't been able to travel to Canada since then because of COVID. I'll be starting my second year this fall.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Are you absolutely sure? Because I changed my DLI last year before starting my program in fall 2020. I haven't been able to travel to Canada since then because of COVID. I'll be starting my second year this fall.
You completed one year online, out of Canada

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you have not yet activated your study permit (at the border) before changing your DLI, you need to re-apply for your study permit. That's the rule.

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
I activated my DLI in fall 2019 when I travelled to Canada to attend my previous DLI. I then had to defer my course for a year because of medical reasons and return to my home country. I changed my DLI in fall of 2020 (informed IRCC about that) and started studying online. I am now planning to go back to Canada for my second year at the new DLI. Where does that leave me?

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
If you have not yet activated your study permit (at the border) before changing your DLI, you need to re-apply for your study permit. That's the rule.
I activated my DLI in fall 2019 when I travelled to Canada to attend my previous DLI. I then had to defer my course for a year because of medical reasons and return to my home country. I changed my DLI in fall of 2020 (informed IRCC about that) and started studying online. I am now planning to go back to Canada for my second year at the new DLI. Where does that leave me?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Your case is complicated. Once you took more than 180 days leave of absence, your SP became invalid. You actually should have re-applied before starting your course in 2020. Just because you sent a webform doesn't mean your SP was still active. You most likely have been studying with an invalid SP since last year.

I will be surprised if the CBSA officers let you back in with your. current permit

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
Your case is complicated. Once you took more than 180 days leave of absence, your SP became invalid. You actually should have re-applied before starting your course in 2020. Just because you sent a webform doesn't mean your SP was still active. You most likely have been studying with an invalid SP since last year.

I will be surprised if the CBSA officers let you back in with your. current permit
Since mine wasn't a leave but a deferral, I was informed by the Canadian Embassy in my country that processed my permit that I'd be allowed to return on the same study permit.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Since mine wasn't a leave but a deferral, I was informed by the Canadian Embassy in my country that processed my permit that I'd be allowed to return on the same study permit.
How is it a deferral if you already started classes at your previous DLI? Anyway, since you have written confirmation from your local IRCC office, you can show that at the border.

aleenaah

Jun 22, 2020
How is it a deferral if you already started classes at your previous DLI? Anyway, since you have written confirmation from your local IRCC office, you can show that at the border.
I attended classes for a week, they then allowed me to defer on medical grounds and gave a new acceptance letter for the term starting in fall 2020.

hoovers

May 2, 2017
I attended classes for a week, they then allowed me to defer on medical grounds and gave a new acceptance letter for the term starting in fall 2020.
Please can you give an update and how this went for you? My friend is currently in the same situation