+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DLI change after new rules PLEASE HELP

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have two university admissions for September 2021, one from a university in Quebec and the other from a College in Nova Scotia. I will enter Canada on August from Montreal Airport. I obtained my Student Visa with the one in Quebec.
Now question is, I want to study in Nova Scotia, so how can I change my DLI after entering Canada?
some say just show your Quebec university admission letter at airport, obtain your study permit, and once you are inside, change your DLI online and go to Nova scotia.
there are some people who also say, you should at least study one term in Quebec and then change your DLI and go to Nova Scotia.

Can you guys please help me? anyone has gone through a similar situation? I want to know what's the best solution here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I have two university admissions for September 2021, one from a university in Quebec and the other from a College in Nova Scotia. I will enter Canada on August from Montreal Airport. I obtained my Student Visa with the one in Quebec.
Now question is, I want to study in Nova Scotia, so how can I change my DLI after entering Canada?
some say just show your Quebec university admission letter at airport, obtain your study permit, and one you are inside change your DLI online and go to Nova scotia.
there are some people who also say, you should at least study one term in Quebec and then change your DLI and go to Nova Scotia.

Can you guys please help me? anyone has gone through a similar situation? I want to know what's the best solution here. Thanks in advance.
You can change your DLI on your online account once you are in Canada. On a side note, why switching University for College in Nova Scotia?

Reactions: sbenyamin

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
You can change your DLI on your online account once you are in Canada. On a side note, why switching University for College in Nova Scotia?
Tuition for Quebec university is around 40,000$ for the whole program whereas in Nova Scotia is around 15000$ .
Quebec is Master program and Nova Scotia is Graduate Certificate and ends sooner. I don't like French and am an expert in programming, just rather to finish sooner and get to work.

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
When do you suggest to do it exactly, I mean like, right after entering Canada or wait until two weeks after beginning of classes in Quebec?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi everyone,
some say just show your Quebec university admission letter at airport, obtain your study permit, and once you are inside, change your DLI online and go to Nova scotia.

I am exactly in your shoes. Got SP on a Quebec uni and now planning to go to Regina. I will be doing as @Simba112 advised.
I'm also curious as to why you are changing from uni to college. Let me point out that changes to a lower level of post-secondary like this is the reason why IRCC put in the new measure and insists on you re-applying for SP for DLI change.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Tuition for Quebec university is around 40,000$ for the whole program whereas in Nova Scotia is around 15000$ .
Quebec is Master program and Nova Scotia is Graduate Certificate and ends sooner. I don't like French and am an expert in programming, just rather to finish sooner and get to work.
But you knew all that prior to applying. You probably applied with the admission letter from Uni because you know it will give you chances of approval, even though you were planning all along to go to the college.

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
But you knew all that prior to applying. You probably applied with the admission letter from Uni because you know it will give you chances of approval, even though you were planning all along to go to the college.
Many things have changed since I first applied, financially it's harder for me now than it was back then when I was applying, plus university classes are very cramped during the week, I'm not having much progress in learning French too and other things ....

Last edited:

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
Many things have changed since I first applied, financially it's harder for me now than it was back then when I was applying, plus university classes are very cramped during the week, I'm not having much progress in learning French too and other things ....
is the college NSCC ? it is a good reputable one. the best college in halifax and NS

Modromodro

Sep 16, 2021
ah
I am exactly in your shoes. Got SP on a Quebec uni and now planning to go to Regina. I will be doing as @Simba112 advised.
I'm also curious as to why you are changing from uni to college. Let me point out that changes to a lower level of post-secondary like this is the reason why IRCC put in the new measure and insists on you re-applying for SP for DLI change.
[/QUO
is the college NSCC ? it is a good reputable one. the best college in halifax and NS
Hello, I am in a similar situation. Can I ask a question?

Modromodro

Sep 16, 2021
You don't have to ask if you can ask a question. Just ask :) . It's a public forum.
Thank you. Okay so, I have been actively studying from my home country at one DLI in Ontario. I will finally be in Canada in 3 days. I wish to change my DLI to another after my first semester exams?

Is that fine? Will i have any problems? this is only due to financial problems.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you. Okay so, I have been actively studying from my home country at one DLI in Ontario. I will finally be in Canada in 3 days. I wish to change my DLI to another after my first semester exams?

Is that fine? Will i have any problems? this is only due to financial problems.
The requirements for changing without needing a new SP:
  • In Canada;
  • Actively studying

With the current state of things with the pandemic, a lot of people have had to start studying from home and that is allowed, so my guess will be that since you have finished a semester (even if online), you should be able to change DLI once you are in Canada without needing a new SP. This is only my opinion.

Modromodro

Sep 16, 2021
The requirements for changing without needing a new SP:
  • In Canada;
  • Actively studying

With the current state of things with the pandemic, a lot of people have had to start studying from home and that is allowed, so my guess will be that since you have finished a semester (even if online), you should be able to change DLI once you are in Canada without needing a new SP. This is only my opinion.
thank you so much for your response