+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

divorced mom applying for citizenship with child

riannka

Mar 19, 2018
Hi,
I need some help for citizenship application. I am applying together with my child for Canadian citizenship. we are holding permanent resident status inside Canada. I divorced from my child' father in our country before my son and I came in Canada.
I didn't find any instruction of how I have to fill up-, or provide any other documentation for Citizenship applications in my child'case-parents information-: Do I have to attach any custody documents or ? do I have to show his father' name on the application even if he lives outside of Canada?
Thanks for the help.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,
I need some help for citizenship application. I am applying together with my child for Canadian citizenship. we are holding permanent resident status inside Canada. I divorced from my child' father in our country before my son and I came in Canada.
I didn't find any instruction of how I have to fill up-, or provide any other documentation for Citizenship applications in my child'case-parents information-: Do I have to attach any custody documents or ? do I have to show his father' name on the application even if he lives outside of Canada?
Thanks for the help.
If you have a custody document including it will ensure that IRCC knows you have full custody, and are thus allowed to make this application (and they don't have to check if you're allowed to do so). Not including it is usually fine, but by adding it you ensure they're fully aware you have custody.

You don't have to include the father's name on the application, as you are the one applying and signing on behalf of your child.

(There is some information at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/parental-consent.html )

Reactions: riannka

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for the help.
I have a similar situation. I listed the mother in the application for my son as required and where she resides. I didn't attach any custody documents as it's not part of the document list. I was, however, prepared to show what I needed at the interview after the test. My interviewer didn't bring it up, which was a bit of a surprise to me. I would fully expect that custody documents be required. Did you have consent from the father when you and your son became PR?

Make sure you fill out the correct minor application as there are two.

riannka

Mar 19, 2018
If you have a custody document including it will ensure that IRCC knows you have full custody, and are thus allowed to make this application (and they don't have to check if you're allowed to do so). Not including it is usually fine, but by adding it you ensure they're fully aware you have custody.

You don't have to include the father's name on the application, as you are the one applying and signing on behalf of your child.

(There is some information at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/parental-consent.html )

thanks

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I disagree with this. Nowhere does it say that you don't have to list the other parent. You don't need consent if you are the custodial parent, but you do need to tell them who it is.

riannka

Mar 19, 2018
I have a similar situation. I listed the mother in the application for my son as required and where she resides. I didn't attach any custody documents as it's not part of the document list. I was, however, prepared to show what I needed at the interview after the test. My interviewer didn't bring it up, which was a bit of a surprise to me. I would fully expect that custody documents be required. Did you have consent from the father when you and your son became PR?

Make sure you fill out the correct minor application as there are two.
yes I have the consent from his father it was necessarily for the permanent resident application. thank you

riannka

Mar 19, 2018
I disagree with this. Nowhere does it say that you don't have to list the other parent. You don't need consent if you are the custodial parent, but you do need to tell them who it is.
that's why I am a little bit confused. there is no any information about it, or maybe just I didn't find.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Right - that was bad wording on my part.

One parent is expected to countersign (I believe they call it) the application. In that part you do not need to mention the father.
Where the biographical information is asked you do need to mention the father.

riannka

Mar 19, 2018
so if I will give the information of the father' name etc.. and attach the other custody papers what I used for PR application should be enough.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
that's why I am a little bit confused. there is no any information about it, or maybe just I didn't find.
I’m a big fan of following the document list to the letter. Nothing more unless requested. I know there are plenty here that are of the opinion that you should send anything you think is relevant. Personally, I think it has the potential of muddying the waters.

You’ll need to make your own decision about sending the custody papers.

riannka

Mar 19, 2018
I’m a big fan of following the document list to the letter. Nothing more unless requested. I know there are plenty here that are of the opinion that you should send anything you think is relevant. Personally, I think it has the potential of muddying the waters.

:):):)

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I agree fully. Follow the instructions and provide what is requested.

Reactions: riannka

riannka

Mar 19, 2018

so basically you just provided the other parent name and no any addition documentation of divorce or custody because on the document list doesn't request it. Correct?