+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorced husband before getting P.R. and now want to re-marry

the1forall

Feb 10, 2014
Hi all,

A friend had applied for Canada P.R. along with her dependent husband and their kid. Unfortunately they divorced after six months of application and thus my friend requested CHC to remove her husband's name from the application. She had enough points to get the P.R.

Now she is in Canada since past eight months but wants to re-marry the same guy she divorced. If she marries him again, can she become a sponsor for him and file normally as a canadian p.r. would do for his/her dependent spouse who is outside canada?

or will there be any hassles in the process?

Awaiting valuable inputs

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - she should definitely expect problems. CIC most likely won't let her sponsor her husband even if they re-marry. CIC does not allow this type of sponsorship since it provides a loop hole for excluding a medically inadmissible spouse from an economic class PR application and then allowing that same person to be sponsored later through spousal sponsorship.

The husband will most likely have to qualify to immigrate on his own if he wants to come to Canada.

Reactions: carolbb23

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
the1forall said:
Hi all,

A friend had applied for Canada P.R. along with her dependent husband and their kid. Unfortunately they divorced after six months of application and thus my friend requested CHC to remove her husband's name from the application. She had enough points to get the P.R.

Now she is in Canada since past eight months but wants to re-marry the same guy she divorced. If she marries him again, can she become a sponsor for him and file normally as a canadian p.r. would do for his/her dependent spouse who is outside canada?

Awaiting valuable inputs

Regards
If he was removed from the original application she can expect
a lot of questions and may be seen as that she is only helping him
to gain status in Canada, as she already divorced him.
This application may take long time to process and a lot of
scrutiny, the outcome is uncertain.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I suspect that she will not be able to sponsor this man. As Scylla stated, they will see it as trying to use the loophole of spousal sponsorship rules regarding inadmissability.

Even IF she is able to overcome that portion of it, I suspect they would also wonder why she would remarry the very man she divorced to begin with and likely they will suspect it is a convenience thing to get him to Canada and not meant to last. It certainly sounds that way, if I may be so blunt.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
There will definitely be problems.
However, legally she can submit a sponsorship application for her spouse just like any other PR.

To increase the chances it will be accepted: they should explain clearly why they decided to divorce, and provide any proof they can that this explanation is true.
Then they have to explain why they decided to remarry, again with proof.

It certainly will look like a divorce of convenience to CIC. So they should provide evidence that the divorce and remarriage have nothing to do with immigration. For example, one reason a couple might do this is if the principal applicant has enough points to immigrate on his or her own, but the spouse is medically inadmissible. That would mean both of them would be refused. If they divorce, then the principal applicant can be accepted.
So if this is not the reason they divorced, prove this in the new application. Show there was no medical inadmissibility issues.

I would also suggest waiting for a while before remarrying and applying for PR. Doing so very quickly after divorcing and immigrating increases the likelihood CIC will think it was a divorce of convenience. If they communicate a lot, and gradually decide getting divorced was a mistake, then decide to remarry, this might seem believable.

Reactions: Forte

Ylime

Jun 6, 2017
Alberta
Hello any news about the one who posted this kind of situatuiation.i wanna know if the remarry again and can she sponsor his husband again.pls u need an ans coz I'm one of this kind of situation and I want to remarry my husband back and sponsor him to come to Canada as my kids needs him and we both still feel that we love each other

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly try. As explained above, there's a significant chance of refusal.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
That user hasn't posted for 2 and a half years, so they are very unlikely to return to provide an update.

I hope you don't still feel that you love each other; as was explained to the other user, CIC will immediately suspect in a situation like this that it was either a divorce of convenience to avoid them being examined, or else a re-marriage of convenience to get the ex-partner into Canada. You will need to demonstrate that the relationship genuinely failed in the past, and that it has begun again. If you "still" love each other, then you are probably on a hiding to nothing.

karansukh2

Jul 20, 2018
Hello
Hi all,

Awaiting valuable inputs

Regards

That user hasn't posted for 2 and a half years, so they are very unlikely to return to provide an update.

I hope you don't still feel that you love each other; as was explained to the other user, CIC will immediately suspect in a situation like this that it was either a divorce of convenience to avoid them being examined, or else a re-marriage of convenience to get the ex-partner into Canada. You will need to demonstrate that the relationship genuinely failed in the past, and that it has begun again. If you "still" love each other, then you are probably on a hiding to nothing.

Hello
I also know someone in the same sort of situation.
I really wanna help!
Could you please share your experience and let me know if there is any hope for them to be together again.
Thanks