+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce

fff

May 10, 2011
I am the PA. My husband has been in Canada for two years now and recently he threatened me with a divorce. By then i just found out i was pregnant with our second child. He met with a divorce lawyer who explained to him how i will have to financally support him until he lives in canada for three years. I think he is trying to take advantage of that information. He actually asked me to sign the divorce papers---i accepted to sign it the next day. The next day i went to the hospital to abort the pregnancy since i had not clearly told him i was pregnant. He has been singing divorce in the house to a point where i can no longer take it.
Can someone out there tell me if there are any exceptions to this divorce law especially if there is a child involve? why should one person suffer that much in the course of a divorce? Even the Bible says when two people are married they become one flesh and blood. Can this unjust law ever change? Why can't the person who wants a divorce be sent back to his country of origin? I am emotionally stressed in my marital home and it seems there is no way out until after three years. Please i need help

trungngan

Apr 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2011
AOR Received.
27-05-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
28-02-2011
Passport Req..
03-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2011
LANDED..........
02-02-2012
I think by law you need 1 year of separation before divorce. You don't have to sign the paper, can you tell your lawyer to wait 1 year?

sheila la

Star Member
May 12, 2010
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18Aug14
Doc's Request.
11Oct14
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Sponsorship Approval 13Jan15, file sent to Cairo
Med's Request
13Jan15
Med's Done....
14Feb15
Interview........
Not Expected as this is a child sponsorship
Divorce or not, she's still financially responsible for him for 3 years. I'm afraid that won't change. There are no exceptions unless you can prove marriage fraud and they deport him.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fff said:
I am the PA. My husband has been in Canada for two years now and recently he threatened me with a divorce. By then i just found out i was pregnant with our second child. He met with a divorce lawyer who explained to him how i will have to financally support him until he lives in canada for three years. I think he is trying to take advantage of that information. He actually asked me to sign the divorce papers---i accepted to sign it the next day. The next day i went to the hospital to abort the pregnancy since i had not clearly told him i was pregnant. He has been singing divorce in the house to a point where i can no longer take it.
Can someone out there tell me if there are any exceptions to this divorce law especially if there is a child involve? why should one person suffer that much in the course of a divorce? Even the Bible says when two people are married they become one flesh and blood. Can this unjust law ever change? Why can't the person who wants a divorce be sent back to his country of origin? I am emotionally stressed in my marital home and it seems there is no way out until after three years. Please i need help
You say you are the PA. That means Principal Applicant. Did you and your husband immigrate to Canada together? Or did you sponsor him under the Family Class. If you sponsored him under the family class, then you are not the PA, you are the sponsor. However, if you both immigrated together under one of the economic classes, then you are NOT responsible for him for 3 years, even if you are the PA.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very good point, rjessome. I think we need to learn more about who is who here and how each came to Canada before giving advice.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
fff said:
He met with a divorce lawyer who explained to him how i will have to financally support him until he lives in canada for three years.
If you sponsored him, you are financially responsible for him for three years after he lands in Canada. He has been here for two years already, so there is only one year left.
But all this really means is that if he goes on welfare, you will have to pay the government back the amount they pay him. Welfare pays very little, and he can not just go on it because he wants to. He has to prove he is looking for a job, or they will cut off his benefits. Let him apply for welfare if he likes - he'll get maybe $500 a month, which I am sure he will not be happy trying to live on.

If you didn't sponsor him, but you both immigrated together through one of the economic classes, then you don't have to support him at all. (Unless he gets a court order for alimony, of course.)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, as everybody else said, if you sponsored him, you are financially responsible for him for 3 years after he landed as a PR. That doesn't mean you must give him money, it means that if he goes on welfare or disability, you will get the bill to pay it back. He can not live on welfare alone. Nobody can. Is he dumb enough to get himself in debt trying to live on $500 a month just so you will have to pay it back? It is also possible that if he has a job now and quits it just to go on welfare that you can take some action against him for welfare fraud since he would obviously be doing that to get back at you. Same if you find out he is taking welfare and working under the table.

A person can not be deported just because they want a divorce. If you believe that he committed marriage fraud when he married you, you could report him for that. Did he just get his PR recently and then wants a divorce right away? Do you know of any detail that he may have lied about on his PR application?