+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce

Spyro64

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
I have been married to my canadian sponsor for two years now but that duration of time has been long distance. I have been approved for PR and now I am living with my sponsor in canada for 3 months now. We both have had changes in our careers that is causing some problems. My sponsor wants to move to America for a job offer but I wouldnt be able to find a job in the same place. Because of this, we have decided to end our marriage so my sponsor could move away for the change in career and because of that i want to go back to the US too in my own state.

I wasnt in canada for long with my PR status so what will happen with it? Once i try to fly back to US are they going to revoke it? My sponsor and i are NOT in bad terms. We just had career changes that made it best for us to seperate for the time being.

If i move back to the US will i be able to keep my PR status and if i ever wanted to move back to canada later is that an option?

Thanks for the help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have been married to my canadian sponsor for two years now but that duration of time has been long distance. I have been approved for PR and now I am living with my sponsor in canada for 3 months now. We both have had changes in our careers that is causing some problems. My sponsor wants to move to America for a job offer but I wouldnt be able to find a job in the same place. Because of this, we have decided to end our marriage so my sponsor could move away for the change in career and because of that i want to go back to the US too in my own state.

I wasnt in canada for long with my PR status so what will happen with it? Once i try to fly back to US are they going to revoke it? My sponsor and i are NOT in bad terms. We just had career changes that made it best for us to seperate for the time being.

If i move back to the US will i be able to keep my PR status and if i ever wanted to move back to canada later is that an option?

Thanks for the help!
Nothing will happen to your PR status.

If you return to Canada after less than years outside, you will have no issues, as you will still meet the Residency Obligation.

After 3 years outside of Canada, you will no longer meet the RO. You would still be a PR but could be reported on entry for failing to meet the RO, which would result in revocation of status. It is also possible you could enter without being reported, remain for 2 straight years and once again met the RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you do try to renew your PR at some point or even apply for citizenship I would anticipate some questions about only living with your husband for 3 months after receiving PR (or ever?) and then going your separate ways.

Reactions: Bip31

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Nothing will happen to your PR status.

If you return to Canada after less than years outside, you will have no issues, as you will still meet the Residency Obligation.

After 3 years outside of Canada, you will no longer meet the RO. You would still be a PR but could be reported on entry for failing to meet the RO, which would result in revocation of status. It is also possible you could enter without being reported, remain for 2 straight years and once again met the RO.
It will be harder to get in without getting caught failing RO. Canada rules now states you must have eta before flying to Canada. Once you apply for eta, they can see that you failed RO. They can begin process to revoke PR status. There are ways to get around it like flying to US first then enter Canada by land.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It will be harder to get in without getting caught failing RO. Canada rules now states you must have eta before flying to Canada. Once you apply for eta, they can see that you failed RO. They can begin process to revoke PR status. There are ways to get around it like flying to US first then enter Canada by land.
OP is American. No eTA required.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.