+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce Fee in Calgary?

crookie

May 25, 2016
Good Day!

My husband sent a statement of divorce I contested it I have send a statement of defense and counterclaim to him and to the Alberta Court. Alberta court sent back my docs saying that they cannot process my counterclaim and defense. I have to pay for the processing fee first. My question would be:

1. Is there really a fee for replying to the divorce claim?
2. How can I send the payment if I'm from the Philippines?
3. Is there a number I can call with regard to this? Have tried to contact family services in Calgary but it was just an automated voice prompt.
4. How will I know if what I have received is authentic (coming from Alberta Court)? I'm a bit skeptic because
it doesn't have any signature and my address on the envelope is handwritten

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
These are family law questions - not immigration questions.

You should post them to a legal forum. Better yet - you should hire a Canadian family lawyer to represent you in Canada if you are serious about contesting the divorce.

Family Services are for people who are living in Canada. I don't think they will assist you in any way since you are outside of Canada and not a resident of Canada.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Alberta court sent back my docs saying that they cannot process my counterclaim and defense. I have to pay for the processing fee first.
Are you claiming alimony or child payments?

Have you contacted the Sheriff's office in Edmonton to serve the summons/legal documents on your husband?

1. I think there's a CAD 50 fee which has to be paid to the Minister of Finance. Maybe the amount has been revised but it is a small amount.
The Sheriff's Office in Edmonton can advise you correctly if a fee has to be paid.

2. My sister who lives in the US paid the CAD 50 fee because that was so much easier as my bank had some illogical foreign remittance policies.

3. Please contact the Sheriff's Office in Edmonton

4. I faced the same problem with my ex-husband.
Time after time, he sent back recorded delivery receipts unsigned/torn precisely where the signature was meant to be.... although the tracking on Canada Post showed that my legal documents were delivered to him.

My annulment case in my home country could not move forward. That's when I got in touch with the Alberta police who directed me to the Sheriff's Office in Edmonton. They served the summons on him through a bailiff under the Hague Convention

BTW I also contested the false divorce suit that my ex-husband had filed later in the Alberta Court. I won all my cases in every Court. In fact, the Alberta Court passed an order that I could file a separate suit to sue my ex-husband for damages within 6 months of that order. But I did not.

So, it is possible to contest a divorce suit in Alberta even if you live in the Philippines

Cheers