+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce during PR file in process

inder2662

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Hi
I have applied for PR in Jan 2017 under humanitarian cases and work permit extension together. My husband is Canadian citizen.
I got the work permit till April 2019. My husband is alcoholic. Before it was controlled now it’s going way out of limit. He doesn’t even go to work. I pay house rent and buy groceries.
I wanna know if I file divorce now. how will it affect my PR file. Do I have to withdraw my PR file? Are they gonna take my work permit back?

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
Humanitarian and compassionate cases processing time is 29 months. You applied 13/14 months ago, so you are roughly halfway through the process, so that will give you a sense of timelines. If you were to file for divorce you would probably need to notify CIC for the change of circumstances. CIC assess these applications on a case-by-case basis including: how settled the person is in Canada and family ties within Canada. If you divorce it could directly impact the strength of your humanitarian case. Is there any domestic violence or abuse? If there is no abuse, suggest alocholic treatment program
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/policies-for-government/bcea-policy-and-procedure-manual/health-supplements-and-programs/alcohol-and-drug-residential-treatment

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi
I have applied for PR in Jan 2017 under humanitarian cases and work permit extension together. My husband is Canadian citizen.
I got the work permit till April 2019. My husband is alcoholic. Before it was controlled now it’s going way out of limit. He doesn’t even go to work. I pay house rent and buy groceries.
I wanna know if I file divorce now. how will it affect my PR file. Do I have to withdraw my PR file? Are they gonna take my work permit back?
Why did you apply for PR under H&C and not as regular spouse sponsorship??

And what is your H&C reason for applying, that prevents you from returning to your home country?

inder2662

Star Member
Feb 26, 2014
Why did you apply for PR under H&C and not as regular spouse sponsorship??

And what is your H&C reason for applying, that prevents you from returning to your home country?
because he has a criminal record and drink and drving case.