+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce during PR application

sandhukaram58

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
Brampton, On
Good Morning:

Hi I am in need of expert advice for my cousin.
He has married a Canadian citizen during his PGWP time period. Recently his PGWP expired and he applied for the dependant work permit, Now the difficult situation here is,his wife left him and his PR is on jeopardy. What can he do at this moment In order to stay in Canada.

What are the options left for him in order to apply for PR through himself?

Can he apply for PNP on Dependant visa?
Any help would be much appreciated.

I opened this forum after long time in order to seek expert advise.

thanks
Karan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good Morning:

Hi I am in need of expert advice for my cousin.
He has married a Canadian citizen during his PGWP time period. Recently his PGWP expired and he applied for the dependant work permit, Now the difficult situation here is,his wife left him and his PR is on jeopardy. What can he do at this moment In order to stay in Canada.

What are the options left for him in order to apply for PR through himself?

Can he apply for PNP on Dependant visa?
Any help would be much appreciated.

I opened this forum after long time in order to seek expert advise.

thanks
Karan
He would ha d to see if he qualified for express entry on his own. Would depend on his own qualifications, education and work history.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for your response.

But my question, can he still apply for Express Entry on Dependant work permit.
Dependent work permit doesn’t exist. If he submitted OWP with his inland sponsorship application it will be cancelled if sponsorship application has been withdrawn and OWP is still being processed. If he already has the OWP he can use it.

VishalPK

Jun 12, 2019
Hi Friends,

I applied for Express Entry as primary applicant and added my wife to the application. We are Indians & applying from India. I submitted my application in Dec 2020, paid our fees, completed our Biometrics. The status today shows that the documents are being reviewed and I expect us to receive next notification to submit passport anytime possible.

However due to change in circumstances, my wife and I have yet to start with the divorce proceedings as she doesn't wish to continue the marriage and she is not interested to continue with the PR application. So, I do not have any documents to share today with IRCC regarding change of marital status. Some of my queries in this situation are -

a) what kind of separation documents will suffice IRCC to resume my application on an individual level?
a) If we are asked for passport submission before I'm able to provide any separation documents, what must I do?
b) If she is eventually deleted from the application, will I enter into the pool all over again and my score will be re-assessed for future draws to give an ITA, or since I already received an ITA in the past with a qualifying score & without my wife my score is higher, my application will simply continue further?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Will help me to take necessary actions quickly.