Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If you are asking about the laws of Canada, he can only have one wife or one common-law partner. It is against the law to have 2 wives/husbands or 2 common-law partners.

If the laws of your husband's country allow polygamy, then I suppose he can legally marry more than one wife. However, to immigrate to Canada, only one wife will be allowed. (I forget where I saw a CIC OP Manual that explains how officers should handle cases with more than one wife. I think it said something about preference is given to first wife or so... I could be mistaken).

Not sure what happens if he doesn't declare the 2nd wife. I mean the CIC forms would only allow one spouse, so may be a cover letter disclosing it would help? This way he is not accused of misrepresentation(lying).

Kelly77 said:
just wondering......(not my personal circumstances) if my husband marries a 2nd wife without divorce and keeps the 2nd wife in shadow.....what does the law say...

or what if he doesn't declare his 2nd marriage

or .... keeps 2nd wife as civil partner or law partner

being paranoid, isn't it? Don't judge me guys...they're only few questions???

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kelly77 said:
just wondering......(not my personal circumstances) if my husband marries a 2nd wife without divorce and keeps the 2nd wife in shadow.....what does the law say...

or what if he doesn't declare his 2nd marriage or keeps 2nd wife as civil partner or law partner
If someone is married, they cannot sponsor a different person as a common-law partner or a spouse. This applies to wives and husbands.

Can someone be married and live with a different romantic partner or live with multiple romantic partners at the same time? Yes, they can. But no one other than the first spouse is a spouse (common law or by marriage) unless there has been a divorce.

Typically the government will prosecute any negative issues that might be associated with the polygamy (under-aged or forced marriages, immigration fraud, tax or welfare fraud, child or domestic abuse) rather than polygamy itself. Polygamy is difficult to prosecute.

Any lie on an immigration application is fraud, so if someone is sponsored to Canada as a live-in care-giver or a cousin (as was the case with the Shafia family in Montreal), the person can be deported.

To see the home-grown (US-Canada) side of this issue, you can google the Mormon religious sect FLDS from Bountiful BC.

Kelly77

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
If you are asking about the laws of Canada, he can only have one wife or one common-law partner. It is against the law to have 2 wives/husbands or 2 common-law partners.

If the laws of your husband's country allow polygamy, then I suppose he can legally marry more than one wife. However, to immigrate to Canada, only one wife will be allowed. (I forget where I saw a CIC OP Manual that explains how officers should handle cases with more than one wife. I think it said something about preference is given to first wife or so... I could be mistaken).

Not sure what happens if he doesn't declare the 2nd wife. I mean the CIC forms would only allow one spouse, so may be a cover letter disclosing it would help? This way he is not accused of misrepresentation(lying).
Thank you really so much for such a detailed reply. It clears my doubts!!!! God bless you!!!

Kelly77

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
If someone is married, they cannot sponsor a different person as a common-law partner or a spouse. This applies to wives and husbands.

Can someone be married and live with a different romantic partner or live with multiple romantic partners at the same time? Yes, they can. But no one other than the first spouse is a spouse (common law or by marriage) unless there has been a divorce.

Typically the government will prosecute any negative issues that might be associated with the polygamy (under-aged or forced marriages, immigration fraud, tax or welfare fraud, child or domestic abuse) rather than polygamy itself. Polygamy is difficult to prosecute.

Any lie on an immigration application is fraud, so if someone is sponsored to Canada as a live-in care-giver or a cousin (as was the case with the Shafia family in Montreal), the person can be deported.

To see the home-grown (US-Canada) side of this issue, you can google the Mormon religious sect FLDS from Bountiful BC.
Thank you soooooooooooo very much eileenf for taking your time and penning down your thoughts and facts. Take care. God bless you!!