+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after marrying on CoPR

sam406

Jan 14, 2018
Hello,
I received my CoPR last year with an expiration date of Oct 27, 2018. But, after that I got married in the US and my spouse is a US citizen. I requested CIC about my change of marital status and they sent me some forms and requested certain documents to submit in order to add my spouse to my application.

Unfortunately, meanwhile I was doing all the paperwork to add my spouse to my application, there were certain conditions implied on me by my spouse and now my spouse is unwilling to come to Canada. Due to which we decided to mutually separate and get the divorce. I haven't submitted any documents for my spouse to CIC yet and my spouse has not yet been added to my application, so I still possess the same CoPR that I received last year, with the entry date of Oct. 27, 2018.

My divorce application will be submitted in next two to three days and it takes a minimum of 60 days for the divorce to finalize according to the state law where I reside.

What are my options to retain my current CoPR and enter Canada on or before the expiration date on it?

Can I enter Canada on my CoPR which I received as a single applicant, that is due on Oct. 27 2018 and submit my final divorce decree to CIC after the divorce is settled?

Any replies or suggestions on my problem will be appreciated.

Thank you!

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Hello,
I received my CoPR last year with an expiration date of Oct 27, 2018. But, after that I got married in the US and my spouse is a US citizen. I requested CIC about my change of marital status and they sent me some forms and requested certain documents to submit in order to add my spouse to my application.

Unfortunately, meanwhile I was doing all the paperwork to add my spouse to my application, there were certain conditions implied on me by my spouse and now my spouse is unwilling to come to Canada. Due to which we decided to mutually separate and get the divorce. I haven't submitted any documents for my spouse to CIC yet and my spouse has not yet been added to my application, so I still possess the same CoPR that I received last year, with the entry date of Oct. 27, 2018.

My divorce application will be submitted in next two to three days and it takes a minimum of 60 days for the divorce to finalize according to the state law where I reside.

What are my options to retain my current CoPR and enter Canada on or before the expiration date on it?

Can I enter Canada on my CoPR which I received as a single applicant, that is due on Oct. 27 2018 and submit my final divorce decree to CIC after the divorce is settled?

Thank you!
You put yourself in a bit of a situation but nothing so worrying here. Inform CIC that you're not adding her anymore and that you are in the process of getting divorced and ask for a confirmation of the validity of your CoPR. That should be it. You'll have to wait a few weeks for that and your CoPR might be invalid by then. So I suggest you try to contact them over the phone and get answers.

Reactions: tobs

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Hello,

Thank you!
@scylla Any ideas?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Don't know. It's a unique situation. It's possible IRCC already canceled the existing COPR or maybe they didn't. I really can't say.

Reactions: tobs

Confused101

Aug 27, 2020
Hello,

Thank you!
Hi,

I‘m in a similar situation right now. Looks like it’s been a while since you posted. Do you have an update on your case and how things went?

ash21

Oct 18, 2020
Hello @Confused101

I'm in kind of same boat as you are. I got married after the COPR and I have couple of more months left before I can do my landing and now we are having a breakdown in our relationship and we wanted to apply for divorce but nothing can be done until 6 more months because of the law in India.
My wife was never part of my application and I don't want her to be going forward as well.
Can you let me know what response did you receive from IRCC.

Thanks in advance,.