+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diversion program and renewing study permit

worried2335

Jan 19, 2015
Long story short, I got arrested for something serious I did, got a diversion and got the charges withdrawn. My fingerprints are still on record and will be on for another 2 years until it's automatically destroyed (couldn't request it earlier). My question is if this will affect me renewing my study + work permit.

Thanks for everyone's help!

steakpie

Jul 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Have you applied for a study permit yet? are u in canada?

th3.rdx

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bro , I am sorry to say this but there are three coloumns in questionarie when renewing study permit .

a) have you ever been arrested
b) have you ever faced criminal charges
c) convicted of criminal charge ( don't knw exactly )

Unfortunately , you have to say yes to all the three coloumns . Don't act anything foolish here by saying NO as it can give or immediate refusal and a ban from Canada .

Now , what you can do explain it in the space below these questions that you have been charged with 3 or 4 charges but gort withdrwan from some of them ( as u said ) and got a conditional discharge in one of the charge ( as u said you are facing crimnal chrge fr 2 years ) .

And must attach a SOP stating how that affected your studies , you want to study and forget about what happened . You don't want this mistake to ruin your career but focus more on your course of study here .

You can also mention if you made any donations and whatever you did to overcome the mistake in the space below those three questions or sop ( if you got a conditinal discharge your lawyer must have shown some these kind of things like guilty plee lettr from you or donations ) . If you don;'t know about this contact him .

Hope that helps :)

worried2335

Jan 19, 2015
th3.rdx said:
Bro , I am sorry to say this but there are three coloumns in questionarie when renewing study permit .

a) have you ever been arrested
b) have you ever faced criminal charges
c) convicted of criminal charge ( don't knw exactly )

Unfortunately , you have to say yes to all the three coloumns . Don't act anything foolish here by saying NO as it can give or immediate refusal and a ban from Canada .

Now , what you can do explain it in the space below these questions that you have been charged with 3 or 4 charges but gort withdrwan from some of them ( as u said ) and got a conditional discharge in one of the charge ( as u said you are facing crimnal chrge fr 2 years ) .

And must attach a SOP stating how that affected your studies , you want to study and forget about what happened . You don't want this mistake to ruin your career but focus more on your course of study here .

You can also mention if you made any donations and whatever you did to overcome the mistake in the space below those three questions or sop ( if you got a conditinal discharge your lawyer must have shown some these kind of things like guilty plee lettr from you or donations ) . If you don;'t know about this contact him .

Hope that helps :)
Thanks for the reply. However, I haven't been convicted of any charge. It was also only 1 charge, not multiple. I got a diversion, which is basically that once I do community service + restitution, the charge will be withdrawn, so I will not have any criminal record. However, the diversion will show up if they do a check. Since I finished the diversion program, I have no criminal record, however my fingerprint + picture is still on record for another 1.5 years.

th3.rdx

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My brother the question in the student permit application is have you ever been arrested or been charged or convicted . So you have to click yes aniways ... If you are not arrested and not even charged ( not possible ) then u can click no .

However u can explain that you didnt got convicted , the charges are withdrwan with whatever conditions . But still u have to mention it . Be careful

worried2335

Jan 19, 2015
th3.rdx said:
My brother the question in the student permit application is have you ever been arrested or been charged or convicted . So you have to click yes aniways ... If you are not arrested and not even charged ( not possible ) then u can click no .

However u can explain that you didnt got convicted , the charges are withdrwan with whatever conditions . But still u have to mention it . Be careful
Yes I understand that. HOwever the question I have is that will I require any other documentations for the process to go without a hitch? I really can't afford for the visa to get rejected :S

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
worried2335 said:
Yes I understand that. HOwever the question I have is that will I require any other documentations for the process to go without a hitch? I really can't afford for the visa to get rejected :S
Yes - you will need to provide all of the related court and/or police documents to show that the charges were dropped.

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
Hi brother,

I was wondering that did you applied for extension of your study permit. I am in the same situation but i am not arrested and charged with any crime. police was investigated and sent the file to crown to lay charges against me. Crown will be reviewing my fine soon. I have to renew my study permit in January 2016. Any suggestion and help greatly appreciated.

Jaikaran

Nov 22, 2021
No it does not

Will i get work permit ? if i disclose all info truly and if donations and charity work is high on profile, really tensed about it. bcs my student permit is about to end and any suggest what are other ways to go through

Jassi1796

May 17, 2019
Will i get work permit ? if i disclose all info truly and if donations and charity work is high on profile, really tensed about it. bcs my student permit is about to end and any suggest what are other ways to go through
Yes, you will get your work permit, just disclose everything n you should have no problem