+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dishonest foreign students and SOWPs

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Is it illegal for someone with a SOWP to continue working after their spouse has dropped out of school? Would they be treated as an illegal worker?

...I can't find any info on this subject anywhere including CIC's website.

I am not in this situation but I know someone who is.

Their spouse dropped out eight months ago but they continue to work as if nothing has changed. I warned them but they refuse to listen.

Thanks

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
As of January 28, 2014

"Removal orders by delegated officials in circumstances where students are not complying with their study permit conditions(..)"

Look here:

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2014/2014-02-12/html/sor-dors14-eng.php

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to reply Teddy... much appreciated.

I'm definitely aware of the new study permit regulations but I'm just not sure how these new rules will impact a spouse who holds a work permit that is connected to a international student who has dropped out.

TeddyXYZ

Star Member
Oct 1, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
LANDED..........
18-06-2014
I'm just not sure how these new rules will impact a spouse who holds a work permit that is connected to a international student who has dropped out.
Well if he dropped out and not complying with his study permit conditions then his/her spouse's permit will not be valid.

"Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit."

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Yeah but there is a difference between validity vs being allowed to work.

In study permits, what is said above is probably true because of specific actions against those who do not comply.

But say a person is on a closed wp with his/her spouse being on OWP.

Now if the principal applicant loses job, he cannot work for another employer unless he gets an LMO + WP. However, he can stay in Canada till the expiry of his wp.
So wp is still valid. So is spousal OWP.

Hence if the spouse is working some where, i don't think it would have any legal implication. Haven't read this written any where explicitly though.