+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discrimination in annual salary being on PR vs work permit

Singhgem

Jul 31, 2018
Hi,

I have moved from USA to Canada this month on PR and I am working with the same employer, same project, same role, same team. My employer saved their billing position by transferring me from USA to Canada even without paying visa/travel expenses and I was ok with that. Once I reached Canada, I received my deputation letter with salary around 52k CAD per year which was supposed to be around 75k CAD (in par with USA salary). The other employees who moved from USA to Canada on work permit from same team, same role, same projects are getting the same in par US salary because my employer needs to satisfy Labor court Canada conditions. I am being told that my case is of PR so there is no interaction with Labor court so they are trying to save the money from my annual salary. This is just a discrimination based on my immigration status. Can anyone suggest or assist how can I take this further to labor court or sue my employer?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

I have moved from USA to Canada this month on PR and I am working with the same employer, same project, same role, same team. My employer saved their billing position by transferring me from USA to Canada even without paying visa/travel expenses and I was ok with that. Once I reached Canada, I received my deputation letter with salary around 52k CAD per year which was supposed to be around 75k CAD (in par with USA salary). The other employees who moved from USA to Canada on work permit from same team, same role, same projects are getting the same in par US salary because my employer needs to satisfy Labor court Canada conditions. I am being told that my case is of PR so there is no interaction with Labor court so they are trying to save the money from my annual salary. This is just a discrimination based on my immigration status. Can anyone suggest or assist how can I take this further to labor court or sue my employer?
Correct, no labor conditions to be met.
You should have gotten deputation letter before moving. Move out once you find some other job as moving with some job is also very very important for transition from one country to another. So dont take rash decisions without getting a new job.

Reactions: Singhgem

Singhgem

Jul 31, 2018
Correct, no labor conditions to be met.
You should have gotten deputation letter before moving. Move out once you find some other job as moving with some job is also very very important for transition from one country to another. So dont take rash decisions without getting a new job.
@harirajmohan thanks for your reply !! Job change is for sure on my list. But can't I challenge this discrimination legally ??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

Any employer who is acting like this needs to be dumped. You may not be able to legally challenge the situation but you can certainly tell them where to stick their job. Make sure you are indispensable first...

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
@harirajmohan thanks for your reply !! Job change is for sure on my list. But can't I challenge this discrimination legally ??
No. Its same as some employer offering you X salary which is less than your expected salary. The offer can be declined or accepted by you.
Example: If they are bringing a H1 to working in the US for a specific job then they need to pay for example 80k as per lca. But they can very well hire any GC/citizen for 60k. So its totally legal and nothing illegal about it.

In your case you should have gotten the deployment/transfer letter before you actually move to a new country, which they always do if you go abroad as a work permit holder but for PR they just used the chance by giving letter as a surprise after you moved so that they have upper hand to block any negotiation.

Singhgem

Jul 31, 2018
No. Its same as some employer offering you X salary which is less than your expected salary. The offer can be declined or accepted by you.
Example: If they are bringing a H1 to working in the US for a specific job then they need to pay for example 80k as per lca. But they can very well hire any GC/citizen for 60k. So its totally legal and nothing illegal about it.

In your case you should have gotten the deployment/transfer letter before you actually move to a new country, which they always do if you go abroad as a work permit holder but for PR they just used the chance by giving letter as a surprise after you moved so that they have upper hand to block any negotiation.
thanks @harirajmohan

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I think a complaint to Labor department might work.

Do you they have anything publicly displayed on wages similar to LCA that is there in US? If such a thing exists, I think you will have some luck. But even those things are displayed for exact opposite situation.. for citizens and PR holders to raise complaints when someone on work permit gets paid less. like a case could be made for substituting citizens/PR holders using under paid visa holders.

I also checked the grounds for discrimination, and unfortunately, there is no immigration present in the list.

https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/eng/content/what-discrimination

May be you could try with race or nationality, but not sure.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
It's not discrimination because you aren't a member of a protected class (PR). If you can prove that you're getting paid less because of one of the grounds for discrimination, then you have a case.

You can talk to a lawyer with experience in labor laws to be certain, but I believe the best option here is to find another job. Your colleagues may be getting paid more, but they cannot easily leave. You can.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
It is not surprising that your company pays US based employees more money. US based employees have a lot more expense than their Canadian counterpart. They have to maintain a home in the US and one in Canada. They would also have to pay to travel home to visit family. They also have to pay Canadian income tax, which is higher then the US income tax.