N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Flute said:
I have been living in Canada as a Permanent Resident since last 5 years. During this time, I have experienced discrimination first hand, both in offices of large banks and reputable consulting companies as well as in the daily walks of life. Discrimination and racism is rampant in Canada, sometimes overt and often covert. When its the latter, you have no recourse, because you can't point your finger at it and complain. You can only feel its impact but can't understand how it happened because the events leading upto the impact are engineered behind the scenes. Let me give you a few recent examples from my life in Canada.
I hear you Flute. But I think you're among the unfortunate ones who had to go through so much. Not every visible minority will agree 100% with you. I said it before, 'Racism' is present and prevalent everywhere in the world. Facial profiling is another aspect of 'civilization'. In my experience, by living mostly in southern Ontario for last 10 years and visiting more than 15 countries over last 15 years; I would say Canada is in mid-tolerable range of racism. I felt it more in large-diverse cities like Toronto.

Re: racism at workplace; I think having Canadian education gives you an edge. Also, govt. employer would be more tolerable compared to private sectors.

Wait for Bill C51! It will get worse.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Re: Discrimination in Canada against visible minorities

Flute said:
Thanks for your good words. Spraying pepper spray, in situations that involved no provocation from your end, and which was not done as an act of self-defence, constitutes an assault. Pepper spray is considered as an assault weapon in most common law countries and you had an opportunity to bring criminal charges against that culprit. You could have called 911 or whichever emergency number was applicable for that country. Most buses have overhead cameras, so that would have nailed that person in terms of getting a conviction. And then the 2 of you who were victims, could have filed a civil suit against him thereafter, and collected damages. That would have been a fitting lesson to the perpetrator.
Lol. Sorry. It was just pepper spray. I am not going to get involved with all the bureaucracy in here, I missed my chance to punch the idiots and there's the end of it. I take it like a man, and give it like a man. The only 'damages' I would have wanted are to the person's nose and face, and the law does not allow that :p. I also come from a hardened country, so naturally I only see this as a mere kids bullying each other incident which needs no further seriousness added to it. Those kids were probably juvenile anyway, and there is little the law in Canada can do about anything, let alone such minor cases of assault. There are murderers and sexual assailants roaming free in Canada because the law's hands are practically tied in this matter, and violent criminals are let free after a few years or so of 'rehabilitation', then when the next few wave of crimes happen, they get re-arrested.

This happened in Canada, so 911 was the appropriate number.That said, the police was already there within a minute or two but the perpetrators had ran off in different directions till then, but I'm sure the police went looking after them and the guy who was the intended victim stayed on with the police, and may have carried on the case further.

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
Look, I'm white (pardon here I don't want to be a racist). However, if I wear suit and tie and go to the shop I will get the same questions. Do not wear suit and tie when you do shopping. Just wear Tshirt and pair of jeans, nobody even will approach to you with stupid question. However, if you have bit sense of humor, in fact you can wear suit and tie and try to give funny advice to shoppers if they approach with such questions. Make a fun of this. This is how the system works.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
I like your suggestion. Next time, someone approaches me in this manner, I will try giving a funny response ;D
Maybe, I will say...no free advice...please give me 50 dollars !

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Folks, by the way, there is a new version of this post. I spent many hours researching useful information from the internet, to support the points I have raised in my write-up. I have also improved the language and edited the article substantially. Thereafter, I posted it under another thread, but that was deleted. Any suggestions, how can I post the latest version. I know, its a controversial topic, and not everyone will like what I say. But we live in a free country (Canada), and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects free speech - even speech that one may not necessarily agree with, speech that one may not like. And I raise substantive points that all visible minorities confront in Canada. Unless, we articulate and discuss, how will we ever resolve these issues? We have a tendency to shove issues under the carpet, because I do realize that it can be uncomfortable and ackward to discuss. Less so online, but more so, if it were to be an in-person discussion. The paradox here is that, in Canada, we like to apologize every now and then, for every little thing. We like to be politically correct in our public interactions. As a nation, we are conscious of our public image. But we also discriminate, in a covert manner - against aboriginals, women, visible minorities etc. Statistics and an entire body of research clearly bears this out. As a nation, we have to summon the courage to confront our internal demons, and figure out how to fix this if we are to co-exist as a productive, multi-cultural society.

I believe that the research that I have done, and the points that I have raised, add substantial value to the overall discussion on this topic and it is in the interest of the immigrant community to have this new version posted. This post has generated 700+ views, which indicates there is tremendous interest in this topic.

praneet87

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At my current workplace I don't see any such racism. My manager (white) actively promotes and gives good reviews to people who work hard. But about companies not calling you cuz of south asian sounding name could easily be true. I've applied to all companies when I was looking for a job. I've yet to receive a call from a bank or a high end consulting firm. Similarly less qualified white friends of mine easily get those interviews.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Flute said:
Folks, by the way, there is a new version of this post. I spent many hours researching useful information from the internet, to support the points I have raised in my write-up. I have also improved the language and edited the article substantially. Thereafter, I posted it under another thread, but that was deleted. Any suggestions, how can I post the latest version. I know, its a controversial topic, and not everyone will like what I say. But we live in a free country (Canada), and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects free speech - even speech that one may not necessarily agree with, speech that one may not like. And I raise substantive points that all visible minorities confront in Canada. Unless, we articulate and discuss, how will we ever resolve these issues? We have a tendency to shove issues under the carpet, because I do realize that it can be uncomfortable and ackward to discuss. Less so online, but more so, if it were to be an in-person discussion. The paradox here is that, in Canada, we like to apologize every now and then, for every little thing. We like to be politically correct in our public interactions. As a nation, we are conscious of our public image. But we also discriminate, in a covert manner - against aboriginals, women, visible minorities etc. Statistics and an entire body of research clearly bears this out. As a nation, we have to summon the courage to confront our internal demons, and figure out how to fix this if we are to co-exist as a productive, multi-cultural society.

I believe that the research that I have done, and the points that I have raised, add substantial value to the overall discussion on this topic and it is in the interest of the immigrant community to have this new version posted. This post has generated 700+ views, which indicates there is tremendous interest in this topic.
I think the first part of solving a problem is confronting it, or accepting it that it exists. Most 'successful' immigrants and Canadians in general, are still stuck at the first stage, which is 'denial'. However, I believe that such people are just the microcosm representation of wider society in the world - a world which accepts their religious dogmas at face value, plays the sycophant to the politicians, gets swooned away by military propaganda and starts cheering for the troops - so they are well content in the current discriminatory framework of the world and fails to open their eyes of the injustices inherent in the society.

Please see this video by Globe and Mail on just one form of rampant discrimination in this society http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/video-rich-country-poor-nations-11-startling-statistics-about-the-disparity-between-indigenous-people-and-the-rest-of-canada/article22852873/

Also read this article on police behavior in Canada, the first thing you will read is about "The Saskatoon Freezing Deaths" where the police takes a first nations person and leaves them to freeze to death due to hypothermia on the edge of town or beside a highway; another is the #1 shooting of a Syrian man (by the police) on a Toronto streetcar. http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-stories-that-prove-police-are-just-as-terrifying-in-canada/

To know more about the saskatoon freezing deaths, take out the time to watch this award-winning documentary http://www.nfb.ca/film/two_worlds_colliding/

And of course, the syrian knifeman incident is well documented if you go on looking on the internet.

However, "all is alive and well" in Canada according to the people of this forum. In reality, it is taboo here. And its good that you are taking the time out to speak out about it. It is time we discontinue being a nation of apologists.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
jazibkg said:
Please see this video by Globe and Mail on just one form of rampant discrimination in this society http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/video-rich-country-poor-nations-11-startling-statistics-about-the-disparity-between-indigenous-people-and-the-rest-of-canada/article22852873/

Also read this article on police behavior in Canada, the first thing you will read is about "The Saskatoon Freezing Deaths" where the police takes a first nations person and leaves them to freeze to death due to hypothermia on the edge of town or beside a highway; another is the #1 shooting of a Syrian man (by the police) on a Toronto streetcar. http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-stories-that-prove-police-are-just-as-terrifying-in-canada/

To know more about the saskatoon freezing deaths, take out the time to watch this award-winning documentary http://www.nfb.ca/film/two_worlds_colliding/

And of course, the syrian knifeman incident is well documented if you go on looking on the internet.

However, "all is alive and well" in Canada according to the people of this forum. In reality, it is taboo here. And its good that you are taking the time out to speak out about it. It is time we discontinue being a nation of apologists.
I have seen the videos. I am shocked and appalled to say the least; and I was not aware of the existence of these videos until now. Since I immigrated to Canada five years ago, and these incidents happened much before that, they did not come to my attention. So thank you, for posting these. Picking up drunken or misbehaving aboriginals from their homes or elsewhere (who are not dressed warm), and leaving them on the outskirts of the city to die in the dead of night due to hypothermia, during peak winter - this is a violation of basic human rights and amounts to extra-judicial killing. Unfortunately, incidents like these do not seem to provoke us anymore and there is absolutely no accountability in the system. In the rare event of a trial being held, a predominantly white jury, drawn from within the community tends to sympathize with the white police officers and exonerates them. It appears, justice in this country is meant only for white people, not for visible minorities and aboriginals. In the United States as well, one can observe this pattern being repeated wherever there are police atrocities on minorities and the jury is drawn from within a predominantly white community. We have become indifferent to these atrocities and take the prevalence of discrimination in Canada, as we take for granted, the presence of air and water. Visible minorities and aboriginals are disproportionately targeted by the police in Canada. Toronto Police has a controversial practice called carding, wherein they stop and question people, and record their personal information on a card (and hence the name carding). That personal information goes into a police database. It has been found that people who have been stopped and questioned in this manner, then somehow figure in further investigations. This is an invasion of privacy and breach of a person's human rights. Visible minorities in Toronto are disproportionately being targeted for carding. The sad part is, we, the visible minorities and aboriginals have little recourse. I suspect, as many as 90% of atrocities and incidents of discrimination don't even get reported due to fear of retaliation, or absence of trust/faith in the judiciary/legal system to offer appropriate remedies. I know that from personal experience, because when I am discriminated at work by white colleagues, I often tend to ignore and not complain, lest I be branded as a "trouble-maker", "race-baiter" or lacking in ""cultural-fit"; phrases that white managers often use to castigate and disparage inconvenient visible minority employees. I once complained about a white employee in the operations department at BMO who would repeatedly shout on me in front of others and talk in a rude, insulting and disparaging manner. This white employee was then verbally reprimanded in private by her manager. This white BMO employee then, went on my back and influenced key white stakeholders against me, who suddenly turned hostile to me without any provocation from my end. I was totally taken aback at their change in behaviour and they gave bad feedback about me to my manager. My white manager then used that feedback as an excuse to spoil my performance rating. Later, I was conveniently "laid off" due to "lack of work"(not terminated) as part of a re-org. From an employee who received 14 awards and a solid performance rating in BMO, I suddenly became a bad employee and was let go. This is an example of what will happen if a visible minority or aboriginal ever dares to complain against a white employee.

Now, you may question...why did I not sue BMO (ie file a lawsuit alleging discrimination). Well, you see, employers in Canada have a strangle-hold on your career. There are only five banks in Canada. If you sue a bank, its unlikely it will ever hire you back, as you will be deemed as an enemy or someone inimical to their interests. Also, lawsuits are public records, and therefore, they will show up in any background checks which are invariably conducted. So its like washing your dirty laundry in public, which is not going to do any good to your career. In addition, if a prospective employer finds out that you sued a former employer upon being let go, that prospective employer will think twice before hiring you, given the precedent. He might very well think, "if I ever let this person go, then he might sue me as well". Therefore, if a minority or an aboriginal files a lawsuit, it will act as a deterrent in being hired for any job. It is my observation that white people tend to easily believe other white people, even if they are strangers. So if your former manager decides to bad-mouth you, your career in this little country with a small economy is pretty much over. In addition to all this, employers need to issue a Record of Employment (ROE) to the employee after separation. That ROE states the reason for separation - dismissal, lack of work etc. There is a remarks column as well where an employer could write pretty much anything they want to. After issuing a "without cause" dismissal ROE, once an employee files a lawsuit, out of vindictiveness, an employer could very well, issue a "for cause" ROE. That's a career killer for any minority or aboriginal. As it is, there is no lack of reasons for prospective employers to reject us and we are already being discriminated on various grounds during the recruitment process. We don't want to give them another big reason to reject us in our job search. If you are wondering how a "not for cause" dismissal ROE which has already been issued, could be converted to a "for cause" dismissal, read this remarkable story:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/03/28/canadas-richest-woman-battles-former-ceo-in-court.html

In this particular case, a dispute arose between the former white male CEO of a company and its majority shareholder/owner, who happens to be the richest woman of Canada (white, ofcourse). After the white male CEO rendered 8 years of service to her company, he was dismissed "without cause". But after he filed a lawsuit, the company suddenly found reasons to turn his "without cause" dismissal to a "with cause" dismissal. As a white male CEO with lot of social connections, he might get away with this to some extent. But no doubt, it will tarnish his reputation and while we may never know, I suspect, some good employment opportunities won't come his way due to the prospective risk that potential employers are likely to perceive with his alleged behaviour. In addition, this white CEO being a lawyer, a for-cause termination might trigger a review of his membership to the law society to which he might belong. Having a "good moral character" is usually one of the requirements to be a member of any law society. It might also cost him future awards such as Order of Canada, membership of any provincial awards (such as O.Ont, OBC etc). A for-cause termination does have a ripple effect in terms of subsequent costs and a blemish attached to it. Now, if so much can potentially happen to a white male CEO who belongs to the privileged class of Canada, just think, what is likely to happen to a visible minority or an aboriginal who has been dismissed for cause? We will be mercilessly smothered and will become a pariah, no employer will ever want to touch us even with a barge-pole. So its not always wise for a minority or aboriginal to file a law-suit against an employer, even though the temptation might be huge. The balance of power is heavily loaded in favour of employers (who are usually white). Also remember, you (visible minority or aboriginal) will be fighting a lawsuit with your own hard-earned money which would have begun to dwindle due to lack of job, while your white manager will be fighting the case with the corporation's vast financial and legal resources. Moreover, when companies like BMO terminate their employees, they dangle a severance which is contingent on the former employee waiving off their legal rights to file a lawsuit. This is how big companies bribe terminated employees and protect themselves. Even if a terminated employee does not sign such a waiver, its a David versus Goliath type of fight. Who do you think will win? So minorities and aboriginals face a double whammy at work - first they face discrimination, then they are terminated, and then, they have little legal recourse, due to all the aforementioned barriers. So most of the visible minorities and aboriginals tend not to enter into a legal confrontation and white managers continue to get away with murder in Canadian corporations. White Managers in Canadian corporations are aware of the significant barriers that visible minorities and aboriginals have in terms of legal recourse, lack of employment prospects and their inability to get others to believe in their version. Therefore, White Managers seek to exploit that situation to their advantage. That in turn, reinforces the common perception amongst aboriginals/minorities, of patent unfairness, unjust behaviour, blatant disregard for law/corporate policies/human rights and further encourages white managers to abuse their discretion. I have also observed that even if a visible minority/aboriginal employee complains to Human Resources (who are invariably white), they always tend to side with white managers. From my personal experience, I can assert with 100% confidence, that the entire system in Canadian corporations is rigged and loaded against visible minorities and aboriginals. Many visible minorities and aboriginals who work in Canadian corporations in particular, and those who live in Canada in general, tend to either reconcile to their fate and make peace; or enter into confrontation, then lose invariably and consequently become bitter with frustration at the sheer unfairness that they have had to experience.

If you are a visible minority in another country and you are well educated, speak good English, have a stable job that pays a decent salary or a business that is doing well, have a family there that loves you, and the political situation in your country is stable (ie no civil war that endangers your life) - then I can assure you that the grass in Canada is certainly not greener than that in your country. So think twice before immigrating to Canada. You could meet the same fate as many of us here who are probably regretting our decision now. Here is one more story from Huffington Post titled, "Racism Is Canada's Problem Too - Let's Talk About it"

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/craig-and-marc-kielburger/canada-racism_b_5845284.html

No less than the Conservative federal minister for multi-culturalism. Tim Uppal was the object of racist remarks. You can very well imagine what lesser mortals have to go through in Canada. In an article titled, "The persistence of racial inequality in Canada", Toronto Star highlights the prevalence of racial discrimination across Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/2012/03/20/the_persistence_of_racial_inequality_in_canada.html

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP, I am glad you are able to post your thoughts without interference, and I am not one of the posters who will personally attack you because I disagree
with anything you posted.

But I will tell you two things:

1. What you call "racism" is one of the manifestations of mental shortcut: the same mechanism is widely employed by people whenever they attempt to process a complex information in a short period of time.

Psychologists have recently uncovered a number of mental shortcuts that we employ in making our everyday judgments (Chaiken
& Trope, 1999; Kahneman, Slovic, & Tversky, 1982).
Termed judgmental heuristics,these shortcuts operate in much the same fashion as the expensive = good rule,
allowing for simplified thinking. Robert Cialdini. Influence

So, it's a bit more comprehensive subject than a matter of a skin color or your perceived race (I myself have been an object of "mental shortcuts" in great number of occasions, few of them could be due to my perceived race or ethnic background).

2. I believe the subject of race (especially in our times) is divisive and counterproductive. Whereas prejudice and ill treatment due to "mental shortcuts" affect us ALL (people of all races and backgrounds are instantly 'judged' and 'valued' just as if they were a candy scanned in a supermarket), the subject of race (when brought up as a root of the issue) makes it appear as if only one race or only people of other than one specific race are victimized by prejudice, stupidity and backwardness of society.

For aforementioned reasons I will not participate in further commenting your posts and comments by others.

All the best.