+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discover Canada Study Guide

Flaykee

Feb 2, 2013
My husband just wrote his citizenship test, passed with 100%, took his Oath and became a citizen. The one piece of advice is make sure you know the Discover Canada study guide cover to cover! There may only be 20 questions, but there is no way to know what sections they'll be coming from, or if a question will have an answer that relates to more than one section. He studied everyday (usually about 2 hours) for a month from the time he got his notice to appear to the night before the test. He also did a lot of online practice tests.

If you decide to start reading the guide only a few days before the test, you won't grasp the information. There is a lot of information to take in. Even as a Canadian (born and raised) I didn't know most of what was in there. A lot of it was only vaguely familiar from learning it in school. I can now say that with helping my husband prepare, I am more knowledgeable about my country's history.

A few people who wrote their tests on the same day made similar comments afterwards: "The test wasn't too bad, but it was only easy if you know the stuff."

There's a lot to take in but it will all start falling into place if you take the time to learn the information in the guide and dedicate time to it.

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Flaykee said:
My husband just wrote his citizenship test, passed with 100%, took his Oath and became a citizen. The one piece of advice is make sure you know the Discover Canada study guide cover to cover! There may only be 20 questions, but there is no way to know what sections they'll be coming from, or if a question will have an answer that relates to more than one section. He studied everyday (usually about 2 hours) for a month from the time he got his notice to appear to the night before the test. He also did a lot of online practice tests.

If you decide to start reading the guide only a few days before the test, you won't grasp the information. There is a lot of information to take in. Even as a Canadian (born and raised) I didn't know most of what was in there. A lot of it was only vaguely familiar from learning it in school. I can now say that with helping my husband prepare, I am more knowledgeable about my country's history.

A few people who wrote their tests on the same day made similar comments afterwards: "The test wasn't too bad, but it was only easy if you know the stuff."

There's a lot to take in but it will all start falling into place if you take the time to learn the information in the guide and dedicate time to it.

100% agree.

I too now know more than 80% of my colleagues about Canadian history. If you only do prepare by the various online tests you will most likely pass but have no chance for a perfect score!
There's a few tricky questions you only learn by the study guide.

Test yourself:
What is the right to challenge unlawful detention?

A) civil right
B) habeas corpus
C) general right
D) municipal right

Answer in the study book or Wikipedia.

Mike

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Flaykee said:
My husband just wrote his citizenship test, passed with 100%,
How do you get to know your test score? I was never given it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same here. I was never even told if I passed but I assume that I passed since I was asked to come to the ceremony :)

Flaykee

Feb 2, 2013
Nordicgirl said:
How do you get to know your test score? I was never given it.
The test and oath were not at a major centre, the officers and judge fly in a couple times a year, we're up north and quite isolated. When my husband wrote his test, there were only 5 others writing with him. So because the oath was the next day, they were asking test takers to wait around and would be told if they passed and when and where the oath was happening. When she came out to tell my husband, he asked what the score was.