+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Disabled sponsor divorcing wife who has PR

temsandroses

Mar 17, 2020
I'm asking on behalf of a friend (M) who is disabled, cannot work, and is on ODSP has found out his wife who got PR through his sponsorship fabricated their relationship to get PR in Canada. He no longer wants to continue the relationship, cannot afford a divorce, and is worried about the 3 year period where he is responsible for her. Is there anything he can do to get out of that period?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm asking on behalf of a friend (M) who is disabled, cannot work, and is on ODSP has found out his wife who got PR through his sponsorship fabricated their relationship to get PR in Canada. He no longer wants to continue the relationship, cannot afford a divorce, and is worried about the 3 year period where he is responsible for her. Is there anything he can do to get out of that period?
Not enough information to comment. How long ago did his wife get PR status and arrive in Canada? What hard proof does he have to show that his wife engaged in a marriage of convenience?

The only way for him to get out of the 3 year obligation is for her to lose her PR status (even if they divorce, he will still be financially responsible for her unless she loses her PR status). The only way she can possilbly lose his PR status is if he can prove this was a marriage of convenience, report her to IRCC and IRCC decides to investigate and revoke her PR status. A great deal will depend on how long she has been here and the strength of his evidence.

temsandroses

Mar 17, 2020
Not enough information to comment. How long ago did his wife get PR status and arrive in Canada? What hard proof does he have to show that his wife engaged in a marriage of convenience?

The only way for him to get out of the 3 year obligation is for her to lose her PR status (even if they divorce, he will still be financially responsible for her unless she loses her PR status). The only way she can possilbly lose his PR status is if he can prove this was a marriage of convenience, report her to IRCC and IRCC decides to investigate and revoke her PR status. A great deal will depend on how long she has been here and the strength of his evidence.
She arrived last March I believe and he has some screenshots from someone that told him that was her plan all along, someone that is close to her brother and was trying to warn him. I don't know if that's enough evidence.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She arrived last March I believe and he has some screenshots from someone that told him that was her plan all along, someone that is close to her brother and was trying to warn him. I don't know if that's enough evidence.
He can certainly try reporting her and see what happens. Impossible for us to say if they will investigate or not, If they do investigate, she will be given a chance to defend herself. This process typically takes many months end to end. There's the link if he wants to report her:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/report-fraud.html